Double Jaw Surgery in the Morning and a Quick Update

PatXYZ
on 5/22/12 4:52 pm
Hello Everyone!

I haven't been on the board a whole lot this past month as it has been a bit of a personally trying time for me. I've been to both the east and west coasts for family and friend emergencies and the furry love of my life, my cat Dante, died suddenly and completely unexpectedly between my two trips.

Fortunately, I've been feeling physically great for several weeks now. I'm 11 weeks out of my DS surgery today and am down 52 pounds (started at 235, now 183 and am 5'2"). I am tolerating most foods now and live on meat and cheese very happily :)  I'm running a bit low on a couple of vitamin levels but am supplementing to address them and go for my three month labs in mid-June. I plan to post a detailed 3 month update in June. It has been so wonderful to see the news that several people from our board have been approved for DS surgery in the past few weeks!

This morning at 5:30am I head to hospital for double-jaw surgery. Surgery will take 4-6 hours and I should be in for 2-3 days. It has been a long-anticipated part of my orthodontic treatment and will totally reconfigure my lower face to fix an extreme overbite and a lopsided jaw. Unfortunately they won't be able to fix my deviated septum during this surgery (from a broken nose when I was 13), so I'll need at least one more minor surgery in a few months when my braces come off but I knew that was a possibility. I'll be back on a liquid/pureed diet for 4-6 weeks with a splint wired into my mouth, which sucks, but will be manageable with good pain meds. I have lots more options now than I did on the pre and post bariatric surgery diet. I've got recipes galore and a blender ready to go! Luckily my mother is going to come this weekend to stay for a week and help take care of me next week as my husband is in the midst of his work's busiest season and is also taking a class two evenings a week. I'm hoping I'll feel up to posting in a few days and catching up on the goings on here. I hope everyone is doing well!

Wish me luck!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
JJ_
on 5/22/12 5:03 pm
Oh Pat.  Such a trying time for you.  I remember you wanting to have surgery BEFORE this jaw surgery.  All the best today and during your recovery period.  You must feel great having Mom come and stay with you.

Congratulations on your weight loss to date.  You are doing marvelously in that department.

Judy
Aca-Verity
on 5/22/12 6:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12
WOW Pat!!!!!

You are having SO much to contend with.....wishing you LOTSA GOOD LUCK and you'll really enjoy the comfort of having your Mom for the week.

Verity

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 8:55 pm - Canada
Best of luck with the surgery. Hoping you have a speedy & pain-free recovery.
happypants
on 5/22/12 9:13 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Sorry you've had such a rough go of things this last while Pat. I wish you a speedy recover.

Sending positive healing vibes your way

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Monica M.
on 5/22/12 9:23 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
best of luck, Pat. My friend had a similar surgery, at the same time she lost a lot of weight, and NO ONE recognized her. It was a weird experience for her, so be prepared for the loss of identity. It's weird enough with just the weight loss, but with your face being different, too, it's going to be something to contend with.

Brenda T.
on 5/22/12 9:24 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Sorry for all your trying times with family emergencies and the lose of Dante .

But congratulations on doing so great and your weightloss!!

All the best with this surgery and hope healing goes smoothly.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 9:57 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Good luck!  Hope round 2 of a liquid diet isn't too bad.  I see sugar free slurpees in your future, lol.
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 10:07 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Pat, I am sorry to hear that you have had so many  difficulties  but certainly have managed to continue to stay on course and lose weight that is terrific.
I am so sorry to hear that your cat past away. I have a dog and can only imagine the loss and your pain. So nice your going to have your Mom with you for the week after your Jaw surgery. Good luck and many hugs.
Joyce J.
on 5/22/12 10:17 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Pat,

You have had a rough time. Sorry about the loss of your cat. I know how painful that can be

Here's to an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active
Recent Topics