Question re: Sleeve & timed-release drugs

northernlight
on 6/12/12 4:44 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi all - hope everyone is staying cool today!  Yesterday someone questioned whether they could take timed-release drugs for their GERD. They were told that for RNY'ers, timed-release meds would not work as they couldn't be absorbed by their bodies. That got me wondering - I have severe acid reflux & my doctor prescribed Rabeprazole for it. After I had my VSG, the doctor at TWH prescribed 30 days of Prevacid, saying it was better for my reflux. My question is whether those of us who've had a VSG can take a timed-release medication or do the same rules apply as with the RNY? I'm almost finished my Prevacid & about to go back on my Rabeprazole - should I ask my doctor to write me a new script for the Prevacid? I'm not even sure if Rabeprazole is a timed-release drug - I tried searching the internet, but it was very vague - apparently it comes in both formulas. Thanks for your input on this one.

Deb

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 5:33 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Sorry Deb, I don't know the answer but I think that you should call your surgical centre. They should be able to advise.

Deb
robinmarie1959
on 6/12/12 5:55 am - Canada
 Hi Deb i had the VSG and i was told no time released stuff cause it wont work

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 7:17 am
That's incorrect, that only applies to RNYers. VSGers still have a pyloric valve and normal gastric emptying and a normal gut configuration so there is no reason why timed release drugs won't work.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
robinmarie1959
on 6/12/12 8:25 am - Canada
 maybe they told me that cause the nurse there might have got me mixed up with someone else just there for their check up I will have to ask on friday when i go back

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 12:09 pm
Many of the nurses don't understand the difference between the RNY and VSG... one nurse I saw at Hamilton expressed concern at me swallowing pills with my VSG stomach (I had DS), and the dietician had to correct her that this isn't problematic.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
tasha_the_dog
on 6/12/12 5:59 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
I was told i could take time release meds.  Since we still have part of our stomach we can take it.
I have had no issues taking time release meds since my surgery in Jan. Everyone is different so to make sure, check with your clinic.  BTW that was one of the reasons the surgeon suggested the sleeve for me.

Jennifer

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

sam1am
on 6/12/12 6:05 am
I don't see any reason why timed-release would not be appropriate for us as we have a fully functioning stomach and normal intestines.  I take Nexium by the way.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 7:18 am
Agree - if someone is claiming otherwise I'd like to hear the reasoning!
Diane Steg
on 6/12/12 7:29 am - St Catharines, Canada
 I was given prescription for Rabeprazole from Dr Gmora as he told me that I would be having the sleeve in the next 3 months

Orientation Mar. 12/12    Nurse, Dietician & ECG Apr. 18/12    Internist Apr. 26/12
S/Worker May 3/12          Surgeon Dr Gmora June 5/12           Surgery Oct 3/12 Surgeon Dr Anvari

Most Active
Recent Topics