Grey stool :s

rosie1985
on 8/9/12 4:59 pm - Canada
 Hey 
Was wondering if anyone had any info on grey stool ???
I had some grey stool this morning and wondering what that is all about 
sam1am
on 8/9/12 5:10 pm
Hi Rosie,

I just googled it, but we know we can't trust everything on the internet.

Stool that is pale or grey may be caused by insufficient bile output due to conditions such as cholecystitis, gallstones, giardia parasitic infection, hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis. Bile salts from the liver give stool its brownish color. If there is decreased bile output, stool is much lighter in color.

Other causes of pale stool is the use of antacids that contain aluminum hydroxide. Stool may also temporarily become pale after a barium enema test.

Pale stool may also be shiny or greasy, float, and be foul smelling, due to undigested fat in the stool (see soft and smelly stool). 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

rosie1985
on 8/9/12 5:16 pm - Canada
 Ya I googled it too just wondering if anyone had similar experience 
Leslie W.
on 8/9/12 6:11 pm - Cobourg, Canada
many post op with the malabsoption have a change in stool color. With no other symptoms I would not be too concerned.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
ShallowGirl
on 8/9/12 10:04 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 Grey (not light brown or yellow) means that bile from the liver is not reaching your stool.

I had it before surgery (many years ago) and it passed within 24 hours.

The bile helps digest the fats, so if you have no bile (and a lot of fat in your diet) you can get stenorrhea (fatty stool) which really stinks.

If it persists, there may be a blockage in the intestine that leads from liver to the place where your new stomach tube empties into the small intestine.

~  Nurse from Ontario

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Ottawa34
on 8/10/12 9:52 am - Ottawa, Canada
it's happened to me before as well .... it'll pass :) 

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active
Recent Topics