Advice on unsweetened apple sauce.

zombiesugar
on 9/30/12 2:30 am
Hey all,

Just looking for some feedback on unsweetened apple sauce. I am about one week out from surgery and just got my bf to get me some unsweetened apple sauce.

He got the Mott's Fruitsations which has 13g of sugar per serving (1/2 cup) - but my suggested serving is half of that which is like 6.5g of sugar. He said the no-name brand had about the same amount of sugar becuase their serving size was larger and the sugar count was a bit more.

Is there a difference (in terms of dumping) between sugars? Between something like sugar from chocolate vs. sugar from apples?

It just seems like too much sugar - but it's what they recommend to eat in our liquid diet after sugery.

Any thoughts o' forum wizards?

Karen M.
on 9/30/12 2:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
Go****'s really so individual.  What one dumps on another tolerates no problem. What I CAN tell you is that I had unsweetened applesauce (Motts) directly after surgery to take meds and I was fine. Refined sugar is the devil.  Fruit sugar - I'd be willing to risk.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

2mar
on 9/30/12 2:58 am
RNY on 09/20/12
I was surpirsed as well to find SO many different brands (unsweetened applesaus) with so many different sugar levels. I also have to take meds and I am doing great with Mott's unsweetened 111gram cups. ( 11 grams of sugar - but I never eat a whole container in the day - and will not eat it for snack).  That is the lowest I was able to find.
(FYI : I am 10 days post - op now)

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

ShallowGirl
on 9/30/12 7:44 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
He should go back to the store and buy you the SUGAR FREE version. But a lot are 11 g per serving anyway. Oops, just saw that was posted.

I ate a lot of applesauce first few weeks SF and never dumped. Turns out I'm not a dumper. Now I can't look at the stuff & FYI it is mild to swallow but apparently contributes to constipation.

(I wouldn't have thought that, since it is a fruit... but there you go).

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/12 8:48 am - Guelph, Canada
 i just made my own apple sauce then i knew what was in it and i was more in control..

skin and cube apples.... place enough water in the pot to cover the bottom by maybe 1/2"

add apples and cinnamon and i used the brown sugar splenda about 1/4 cup for 5 or so apples.. (tip.. when first starting to make apple sauce leave this step till the end you may not even need to add it depending on the variety of apples used) .. i also added cloves.. yo can also add strawberries or blueberries... raspberries....

simmer it down till its soft... you can use a potato smasher or a hand held blender to mash the poop out if it till its the desired thickness 

cool on the counter and then refrigerate for up to 2 weeks... i use left over clean spaghetti jars when i store it... i do boil the bottle to sterilize it tho

ShallowGirl
on 10/1/12 6:01 pm, edited 10/1/12 6:01 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Dee you look so much younger than your old avatar !

But I see you are a cooker. Soon you will start running and that will be it.

I'm doing a night shift and watching Airplane, and now Airplane 2. 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics