3 sleeps to go....Nerves are kicking in

kkcpgp
on 10/6/12 11:15 am - Amherstview , Canada
RNY on 10/09/12
So Saturday is drawing to a close and that means I have two full days remaining until my day arrives.  I have surgery at HRRH on Tuesday at 10:30 with Dr. Hagen.  Any last minutes tips or "heads ups" for my hospital stay?  I was curious and forgot to ask at my PATT what type of pain meds they use in the hospital and what they send you home with.  Do you get to have a shower while in the hospital and do you get to have this shower by yourself?  Also any items that people have been glad they brought or wished they had of?  I am 3.5 hours from home at HRRH.  
Thanks everyone and best of luck to anyone else that has an upcoming surgery.  Fast and easy recovery for all.  :)

Orientation: Oct.2011       Jan. 2012 - offered transfer to Humber (accepted)
March. 9 - GBY Class      April 18 - Surgeon Consultation  May 15 - RD & SW  
May 28 - Nurse  May 28 - Dr. Glazier  2nd Surgeon (Opti/Setting a Date) - June 11 
PATT- Sept.11 Start Opti - Sept.18                     
Surgery Date - OCT.9

4-Jane
on 10/6/12 11:41 am - Canada
 Keep us posted and wishing you a speedy recovery
 Respectfully Jane
gardeninggal
on 10/6/12 12:02 pm - Midland, Canada
 I get where you are right now and this too shall pass.  Remember the decisions you made going into this WLS journey and all the before and after pictures you have in your head.  You are having the last minute jitters from the sounds of things.  I had my appointments at HRRH and my surgeon was Dr. David Lindsay that I met there.  He does his surgery out of St. Joseph's Health Centre (hospital) in Toronto and I had my surgery there.  I read on this site that many people decided to take personal use items like mouthwash, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. and just use the hospital gowns while in hospital - one gown for a 'housecoat' as you may have some seepage from the incisions that might as well be on their linen and not your pj's.  Also the gowns are cool and are best for the nursing care that you will receive just after your surgery, i.e. IV pole, blood pressure monitoring, etc.  Some have suggested ear plugs as it is noisy in the hospital especially during the night.  I decided that I would wait to shower when I returned home and I was happy with that decision.  My hubby and I stayed overnight the night before surgery as I was scheduled to be at the hospital at 8:15 a.m. and surgery at 10:15 a.m.  We live about 2.5 hours from the hospital.  Your cellphone would be good to have if you use one.  Best wishes to you for a smooth surgery and recovery.  
Nancy

tbtilalaf
on 10/6/12 12:08 pm, edited 10/6/12 12:09 pm

Don't forget to bring your toothbrush and mouthwash (I wished I had mouthwash), chap stick, flip flops (making getting in and out of bed easier to go to the bathroom) and deodareant, I only had one shower with the nurses help but I was there for 6 days and I think I showered on day 4. (I had two surgeries as I had a bad episode two nights after surgery). Don't bring to many clothes, just the ones you wear to the hospital and a going home outfit that has a loose waist (you will be very sore) or a dress. I over packed not realizing that I would be wearing the hospital gowns all of the time, so if you have a stubborn incision that leaks blood it goes on their gowns and not your clothes! Also if you do shower you will need your soap and hair stuff (you do feel a great deal better after the shower!) The stuff in the first sentence is for the extremely dry mouth and lips that you WILL have....Remember you drink VERY little so NO gulping I was extremely thirsty and couldn't get enough water and ice chips, didn't even care about the broth and jello they brought...

Oh, and they used morphine (right after surgery, and then they switch to Tylenol) for me and sent me home with Percocets, stool softeners and pravacid to prevent ulcers from the acid that is still in your stomach, it will always be there bit with your pouch being so new they need to give prevacid to help prevent them (if you get perks only take them when you need them as they are addicting and may be hard to get off of them). (Excused the spelling lol)

yes and the above answer too!! earplugs and a eye mask if you like it dark!!

GOOD LUCK with your surgery!!
Melissa!

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

ShallowGirl
on 10/6/12 1:18 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Ear plugs, face mask, and your OWN sugar free jello.  When permitted.

All the food at HRRH was crap on crap.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

JJ_
on 10/6/12 1:38 pm
Although the other poster suggested bringing going home clothes that are loose, you can wear loose clothes to the hospital and wear the same ones home again.  You will only wear them until the latest 9 a.m. next Tuesday.  You may wish to bring a change of underwear (in case).

My best friends were lip balm, ear plugs and hand cream.

I also used my tablet and cellphone.  Ottawa has free wifi for patients.

All the best on Tuesday :)  What a great way to end a long Thanksgiving weekend.

Judy
lookinginto
on 10/6/12 1:50 pm
 I asked for a sedative to be given to me as soon as I was admitted. I was very calm going in to surgery. I agree with the others. Don't pack any clothes. It's more to carry. Best wishes!
Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/6/12 1:57 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
Having had abdominal surgery... Maybe a pillow for the trip home. Potholes SUCK but something to hold over your tummy really helps...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/12 9:44 pm - Straford, Canada
 Good luck on Tuesday, may your surgery be unevetful and healing speedy!  When it comes to showering alone, you can bring a friend if you like, but I doubt you'll feel much like getting frisky until you get home! 
kkcpgp
on 10/7/12 3:40 am - Amherstview , Canada
RNY on 10/09/12
Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes.  Also for the little tips.  I am really so happy with my choice and I can not wait to join all those that have gone before me on the bench.  I  will keep everyone updated with my experiences.  
One last question....Do they allow you to plug in your cell phone at HRRH does anyone know? 
So my battery doesnt die.

Thank you all again.  Take care.

Orientation: Oct.2011       Jan. 2012 - offered transfer to Humber (accepted)
March. 9 - GBY Class      April 18 - Surgeon Consultation  May 15 - RD & SW  
May 28 - Nurse  May 28 - Dr. Glazier  2nd Surgeon (Opti/Setting a Date) - June 11 
PATT- Sept.11 Start Opti - Sept.18                     
Surgery Date - OCT.9

Most Active
Recent Topics