itchy skin

Laura H.
on 10/29/12 9:45 am - Canada

I am 6 weeks post op and have found lately that I am itchy.  All over.  I have been using moisturizer but it is driving me nuts.  Is this normal and how I stop it?  People are going to think I have fleebees.  LOL!

Laura H.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/12 10:15 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Sounds like it could be an allergy, it could be possible that you are allergic to some of the supplements your taking?????

You can take an antihistamine  like Claritin, or Allegra, but I would sure get checked out by a Doctor. 

PatXYZ
on 10/29/12 10:21 am

Your skin may be responding to the sudden lack of fat in your diet which is making it more dry. Try moisturizing often, using a moisturizing body wash rather than soap, and use a medicated moisturizer like Gold Bond that has anti-itch stuff added in.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
gardeninggal
on 10/29/12 10:23 am - Midland, Canada

Could be now that the furnace in your home is on that your skin is drying out faster than usual.  Try some non-allergenic moisturizers and apply as often as possible.  Another possibility is dehydration so keep sipping and moisturize ....it is all good, inside and out :)

ShallowGirl
on 10/29/12 2:49 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Stress can bring out exzema.  In addition to all the great suggestions above, I would take a B complex vitamin.

You could easily be eating too low fat a diet too.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Monica M.
on 10/29/12 9:00 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

make sure your moisturizer isn't scented, drink lots.

take a benadryl at night if its bothering you too much then.

C. McArthur
on 10/29/12 11:18 pm - Toronto, Canada

I found that I was dry and itchy also. I use baby oil before I dry myself out of the shower when I'm still wet to trap the moisture in. It worked for me.

" Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a bag of chips in one hand, glass of wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride". Love always Cathie        
niceeyes72
on 10/30/12 1:16 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12

I personally, had a reaction to a protein mix I bought. It was from The Bulk Barn the type that is like a sports drink. Once I stopped using that, all was fine.

Gave it to a fellow RNYer and she didn't have any issues with it.....

Feel better soon!

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

happypants
on 10/30/12 1:53 am - Ottawa, Canada

Same thing happened to me post op. Your body is going through tuns of changes. Just make sure you are getting enough fluids in. A medicated body lotion as well as Benadryl (sp*)

This itch will pass.

Congrats on your WLS and welcome to the Bench

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

debbisaul
on 10/30/12 4:14 am - Guelph, Canada

Hi there, I had the same reaction, just keep moisturizing and drinking as much as possible. The itchiness will diminish when you are fully hydrated and your body starts to recover from the surgery and the vitamin deficiency. I take a prenatal, calcuim, b12 and for a while vitamin d.

The itching is gone now and has been for about 4-5 months.

I was told this is quite a normal side effect post op. Something that should be added to the list during orientation.

Hope this helps you out. If still concerned, see your physician for allergy testing.

www.facebook.com/MyJourneywithGastricBypassSurgery 
RNY     1 Year Post Op        Surpassed Clinics Weight Loss Goal
Diabetes in Remission

Most Active
Recent Topics