Restaurants post-surgery?

Lostandfound2012
on 11/18/12 9:29 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I'm just wondering if peeps here with post-op dining out experience could share some of the restaurants they like to go to now and what kind of stuff you get when you are out?  I went to Milestone's on Saturday and was able to eat the Harissa Chicken and the seasonal veggies that came with it.  I traded out the rice for mixed greens.  Obviously I had to bring most of it home, but I was thrilled to find a healthy choice on their menu and actually saw a few other things that would probably work out too.  Please share your finds!

Monica M.
on 11/18/12 9:33 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i like just about any salad that you can put some chicken or fish on.

Get used to bringing stuff home.

fast food, chili at timmies or wendy's is always an option.Although Timmies they keep giving you that damn bun, and there's no money off for not taking it.

Feralgirl
on 11/18/12 9:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12

The Hamilton peeps may have heard of Pocco Locco (Mexican place on Ottawa St.), they make the best taco salad and will hold any hot sauce or tortilla chips :) It's HUGE but it lasts for several meals. Lean seasoned beef in chilli, shredded cheese, salsa, and a ton of fresh veggies.

I began making my own version (using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream).

I went to a thai place early out (Miss Thailand in Stoney Creek), and had the sliced grilled beef. Went down fine, lots of left overs too. Used them with veggies and on shredded lettuce.

I think if I order a healthy app as a meal I would, just ask to have it brought with the other people's main dishes. I don't mind left overs, I can re-use them for either my meals or my husband's lunches.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

dna
on 11/18/12 11:52 pm - Canada

I went to Casey's and had the Mahi Mahi (salsa on the side) with a baked potato and grilled veg.  LOTS of left overs but it was really good :)

Homemade soup at a tiny cafe.

Protein pack from Starbucks minus the crackers.

Chili from Wendys (don't like Tims version)

In a pinch I had a burger from Harveys, it was good !  mustard on the side and cheese on top lol

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

dna
on 11/18/12 11:52 pm - Canada

Oh and NO bun on the burger ... hence the mustard for dipping

brenda65
on 11/19/12 1:36 am, edited 11/19/12 1:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

wendy's and tims are the same chili,my sister - law works at tims they are owned by the same company. have the same stuff shipped in from same company

January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/19/12 5:14 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Unless Tim's has changed (and they haven't on checking)... Not quite. Tim's has mushrooms in it... Wendy's does not. Timmies has higher fat content, Wendy's is slightly higher carb content... etc.

They may be made at the same place but they are not the EXACT same.

Wendy's:

Small Chili

Small Chili
Chili base (water, tomatoes, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride), ground beef, vegetable mix (onions, celery, green peppers), chili beans (beans, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, natural flavourings, onion powder, calcium chloride), kidney beans (kidney beans, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, natural flavourings, onion powder, calcium chloride, disodium EDTA [preservative]), chili seasoning (sugar, spice [including chili pepper], salt, modified corn starch, onion powder, dextrose, garlic powder, citric acid, disodium inosinate & guanylate, xanthan gum, yeast extract, soya oil, extractives of paprika [including sunflower oil], colour [includes caramel], natural and artificial flavour, malic acid, silicon dioxide [anticaking agent]).

I can't get my hands on the details Timmies ingredient list but:

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/menu/soups-chili.html

Chili

Available Everyday in restaurants serving Lunch.

Tim Hortons Chili is simmered to perfection.  Ground beef is blended with kidney beans, tomato, mushroom, green peppers, onion and celery.

Know this because I did a 3 month stint at Timmies when I was younger and got yelled at re mushrooms OFTEN.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

brenda65
on 11/19/12 7:33 am - Ottawa, Canada

i was just going by what my sister-in law told me. she is a manager wasnt trying to cause any problems

January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/19/12 7:53 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I just wanted to make sure you knew they were not the same formula... Honestly I wouldn't know if I hadn't worked for Timmies, and found out I prefer Wendy's (though I am not suppose to have it because of the corn in it...)

I just wanted to say something because I am so use to people who don't "do" mushrooms... One of my friends being post RNY and who swears they are hard to digest for her.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

CoffeeLady1975
on 11/18/12 11:56 pm - Canada

I've gone to Mucho burrito and had the chicken burrito  with no rice.  Swiss Chalet is a healthy option.  

Most Active
Recent Topics