scared, nervous and ???

mamap79
on 12/27/12 8:15 am

Hi everyone,

this is all so new to me... i went to the doctor's just a short time ago (October 2012) and talked about weight loss surgery. my doc immediately encouraged it. i know several people who have had "the surgery" and i can't really say that any of them are success stories, 2 out of the 5 people that i know have just about regained all the weight that they had lost within a 6-10 year period and they say that they would never recommend it to anyone, the other 3 are 1-2 years out and battle their demons regularly.

i just received an invitation in the mail for an orientation session on January 17, 2013. at this point my husband and family are very supportive and encouraging but i'm scared to tell anyone else for fear of negativity, judgment or disapproval. as excited as i am for "this" to happen i feel like it's all going super fast. i have spent time on this forum reading stories, advice and the occasional rant and it all makes me ridiculously thrilled to even be possibly considered for this surgery. i am fairly certain of the steps involved but some reassurance would be awesome!

best of luck to everyone! i'm so glad that this forum is here!!!

Patm
on 12/27/12 9:34 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You definitely need to deal with your demons. I am almost a year out and realise I need this forum and support groups. I have heard from other people further out who say support groups are really helpful\
Good luck

GirlSassy
on 12/27/12 10:20 am - Kingston, Canada

I agree, and my issues with food before surgery did not disappear after surgery. That is a constant work in progress. I was 225 when I had surgery, and when I was in the hospital all the nursing staff would whisper and then come right out and tell me that I didn't need the surgery. I know that it is a tool, not a panacea. I would tell people and I would get mixed results, some were very supportive right away, some would be upset, saying what do I want to be a size 4?, others would say I need to stop eating is all. My response would be, the surgery is on my stomach, not my brain, my issues walking into surgery will be my issues walking out of surgery. And I had to remind people that you have to qualify I didn't just buy a ticket to Mexico. 

I am 6 weeks out, and have had no real issues. I have gone out to eat, and eat about 1/2 cup now. I have lost about 35 lbs, and feel great. I am down from 2500mg of metformin (for diabetes) to 500mg a day. THAT is why I had the surgery. The weight loss is a bonus.

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

jen1016
on 12/27/12 11:18 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
I am worried about that too, people saying I didn't need the surgery because I weigh 225 lbs, but I meet the criteria and feel it is the right tool for me! I haven't told a lot of people, but I am still I the waiting stage!

I find these forums very helpful and enjoy reading everyones thoughts, experiences etc.

2mar
on 12/27/12 6:00 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

These are the post that we really need here on this forum!

And yes we need to take this seriously. It is indeed a tool and we eat with our head not as much with our stomachs.

I know all too well that we can loose weight and gain it back again. I lost / 10 years ago / 80 pounds with Dr. Bernstein and was a size 6. The critical period is starting year 3. If at that time you are not getting the eating under control and are VERY active and changed your lifestyle it will come back on. Did I learn from the experience : yes. Will it still be hard: yes.

But having said that - I am off 3 meds already and feeling great (sometimes a bit low energy but I am working on that), And I can walk down the stairs in an alternative pattern without my knee giving out on me.

Sometimes I read posts on here that make me clinch...  but I also read a wonderful thing here on this forum. Sorry forgot her name but she said that "this pouch was a gift" - wow .. did that ever struck home with me! Because that is exactly what it is - a tool - no more - no less.

For me it was the right choice - you need to dig deep and see what you want - what your expectation are - what your immediate support system is - and what your "head" says (you will need to get that under control- LOL). And most of all what your goal are!  Who do you want to be - and what can you be.

And I agree this forum is wonderful! very supportive - and it is not always easy. But as a group and with the info that is provided these days - you know what you are in for... and are able to make the best possible decision for yourself.

Take care - and do well - whatever your decision is.

I do not regret mine

:)

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

jdance
on 12/27/12 11:47 pm - Canada

Some really good advice.

I had my surgery June 29 2010. So I'm 2 1/2 years out. And I'm so thankful everyday for it. I lost 126lbs within a year. After I stopped malabsorbing i gained 10lbs, but that was due to my bad habits creeping back in. This christmas I have put on another 10lbs. Yup, more bad habits. So It's up to me to recognize and fix it, or own up to the consequences.

I think that people that don't use the forum or a support group gain it back, not all, but the ones I see that leave are the ones that don't take ownership and ruin the gift they were given. It's never too late to get back on track. I am living proof of that.  I WILL get back to my goal weight. it's my struggle, but it's so much easier to lose 20lbs that 200. One month is all it would take.

yes there are people out there that don't succeed but look at all the ones that do. Don't put yourself in that category when you don't know yet. Your fears are normal, we are all afraid of the gain back but keep reading and posting and be accountable, YOU WILL DO THIS.

sam1am
on 12/28/12 3:18 am

My understanding is that surgeries are being done better now and that people are more educated and have better follow up care, making the surgeries more succesful.  I'm extremely happy with my VSG over 3 years out.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics