For Those Who Run/Walk & Have Extended Health Coverage (Like Greenshield)

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/6/13 3:37 am - Windsor, Canada

I thought I would share something I recently learned.  All this time I had no idea!!

If you have good extended health insurance, look into your benefits book and see about compression stockings. They are a great help to those who walk, run, have edema, diabetes, varicose veins, poor circulation etc.  They help improve your blood circulation.  You don't even necessarily have to have a serious condition - I do have some ugly veins myself so I figure it should help with the legs overall.

I didn't realize I had coverage for this until I was in the staff room and a lady came to measure my colleague. I overheard them talking and of course, once I knew it was covered, decided to get measured. 

I am able to get 6 pairs of compression stockings a year through my coverage.  I ordered dress socks, merino wool socks for the cold weather, running socks and even nylons. 

I looked them up online and one pair alone would cost me $70 out of pocket.  No cost to me and the lady I used even delivered them to my door. 

I urge you to make use of your coverage if you have it.  You'll need a script from your doctor.  The lady I talked to even did ALL the paperwork for me including asking my doctor so I had to do nothing other than fill in a form. 

Just thought I'd pass this along because I know a lot of people are so active here.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

mermaidz
on 1/6/13 4:16 am - Brampton, Canada

The reason you need a script from your Doctor is that they are only necessary for specific conditions :) As you noted, many of the conditions are circulatory in nature.

And with becoming more active, that's no longer a problem.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/6/13 4:31 am - Windsor, Canada

Yes I realize this about the script but I also wanted to let everyone know as well that it can help any one.   

It benefits many of us too as a preventative measure :-) just like massage therapy or chiropractic care.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica M.
on 1/6/13 5:58 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

thanks for the info, Dawn!

dna
on 1/6/13 6:48 am - Canada

I would love a few pairs of the wool socks :) 

Thanks for the info !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

JJ_
on 1/6/13 11:24 am

I still have the lovely pair of white knee high stockings from my WLS.  They sit in my drawer at home.

Judy

Onward and
Downward

on 1/8/13 7:21 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Ha!  Me too!  I have the feeling the ones Dawn is talking about are a little more stylish. ;)

Thanks for the info, Dawn!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Mary A.
on 1/8/13 1:10 am

wow that's a very useful wealth of information, thanks for passing it on~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics