Anyone heard of this?????

on-my-way-2-new-me
on 1/23/13 12:05 am - Canada
RNY on 03/04/13

My friend got referred but yesterday she got a call from Hamilton General Hospital they have a program there and that is where they want here to go it is shakes for 4-6 months and she has to pay $80 per week and she has to drive to hamillton once a week, over a hour drive....has anyone ever heard of this program?  And any suggestions would be appreciated?

mytimefinally
on 1/23/13 12:21 am - ottawa, Canada

Would it be the regular Optifast program?? I know here in Ottawa it is offered as al alternate program for people who don't want to have the surgery.

How to handle stress like a dog; if you can't eat it or play with it, then pee on it and walk away.

Marny B.
on 1/23/13 12:57 am - Canada

Sounds like Optifast to me.  Did her referring Dr. ask for her to try that first maybe?  That is odd.  Maybe based on her weight, it was obvious that she didn't qualify for surgery.  The only thing that comes to mind is that if she were too big, the might put her on shakes for a while first to try and eliminate more risk for the surgery.  Conversely, if she is considered too light, but still overweight, maybe this program is the only option??  That is all speculation though. I have never heard of that happening.  Curious....hmmmm...

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

debralight
on 1/23/13 1:01 am - Canada

A friend just mentioned to me that she is going to be part of this program. So yup I've heard of it. Shakes for a number of weeks then a gradual weaning off of the shakes on to real food along with psychological support and help with the "head" part of eating.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Nicole K.
on 1/23/13 1:07 am - Canada
RNY on 02/11/13

They wanted me to try this program too instead of surgery. My BMI is barely 40 so they wanted to offer me this alternative first.......you go on STRICKLY Opti-fast for 4-6 months, lose a lot of weight that way and they work with you once a week steering you into the right direction for proper eating once you go off the shakes. I refused this option and said that I wanted the surgery...... I advocated for myself and said that I would probably just regain all my weight back after going off the shakes.....so I said NO to this option and my surgery is now set for 19 days away and I start my 2 weeks of opti fast Monday morning :)

Orientation in Kingston: Sep 6/2012, RN Sept Sept 27/12 NUT Oct 12/12, SW Oct 12/12, ECG Oct 12/12, Abd US Oct 31/13, Post -Op Nut Class Dec 12/12, Meet with Surgeon Jan 2/13, PATTS and Dr Glazier Jan 24/13 SURGERY Feb 11th/12!!!!!

Megan M.
on 1/23/13 1:10 am - Canada

They have this alternative program in Thunder Bay as well, but I don't know anything about it.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

Kathleen11
on 1/23/13 1:33 am - Burlington, Canada

The don't do the surgery at Hamilton general.  She needs to be referred to St. Joseph's in Hamilton.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/13 4:21 am - Straford, Canada

Every couple of weeks there is someone on here asking about the same program.  As the previous posters said its a crash diet on optifast and as they get you lighter they try and support you into exercising and eating well.  My understanding is the success numbers long term are very low, but that is hearsay!  

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/13 8:45 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Been there, done that, lost a lot put it all back on. It can work but it is another Optifast diet.

mermaidz
on 1/23/13 11:10 pm - Brampton, Canada

I wonder why, if they are also tending to the psychological component of it, the program is not successful. Obviously living on JUST Optifast for months would be hard unless you added in the 2 cups of veggies (If you have a set "date" of when the Opti is going to end-ie like your surgery date, that makes it harder)

Interesting. I think it's probably part of another study.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics