Hunger returning so soon?

orcoco
on 4/12/13 6:30 am

I've looked it up on the board, and found a few answers, but wanted your opinions.

How far out were you when your hunger returned?

I'll be 4 months post op in two days, and find my appetite is REALLY coming back!  I was eating about 700 calories a day, and at least 70 grams of protein.  Recently increased my limit to 850 calories a day.  But I am still hungry!  My stomach rumbles to the point where everyone around me can hear it, and I get SO hungry!  Thought maybe it was head hunger, but I don't think it is.  I'll drink a glass or two of water, but still feel hungry!!!!!  I don't have cravings for any particular food.  I'm getting in the required protein, many days more than that, and drinking about 10 glasses of water a day.

Just wondering if any of you have felt this way so soon after surgery, and what you did?

Thanks for any help!

Lisa

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

Patm
on 4/12/13 6:46 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I may not be the best person to answer this but I get the rumblings but seldom hunger. Usually when my stomach needs to digest something. Are you spacing your food? Do you drink too soon after meals there by washing the food out? I have 3 meals and 3 snacks. With water there usually isn't much time to get hungry. Perhaps checkout the daily what are you eating/doing today to get an idea of what others are eating.

Good luck with this

aidan
on 4/12/13 7:00 am - Canada
Are you more active now? If so you may need to talk to your dietician about upping your calories?

SandpaperSandy
on 4/12/13 9:25 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Tummy talking or rumbling is just part of life now.  After 2 years, my tummy still rumbles loud enough that people can hear it.  It is not a sign of hunger.  it is just the food passing through my system.  tummy talk is a way of life for many and that may never go away.   think of a funnel that is full and then it glub, glubs until its empty - that is your new stomach 

talk to your nutritionist, that is why they are there and why you are part of a clinic.  use them to the fullest and don't wait just for your appt to discuss your own health issues.

allie_56
on 4/12/13 10:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13

I am only a little over one month out, and I do get hungry as well. I am very active, so that could be part of it, but find I just need to keep busy to get my mind off of it - also TV does not help, as it is all about the food. I return to work on Mon., so that will help me as well.  This may sound strange, but finding different recipes in my wls cookbooks and cooking helps me as well.

Best Wishes

Allie

Onward and
Downward

on 4/12/13 10:53 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I'm 5 months out and hunger has returned for me too.  It's nowhere near like it was before surgery, but yes, I get hungry.  Sometimes it's head hunger, but usually it's hungry hunger when it happens.  After all, we ARE eating very little for our body sizes.

I find that when I keep myself busy (and luckily I have a lot more energy to do so), I don't notice it so much.  But on days when I'm not doing much, or if I have a lot of sedentary activity that day, there's a lot more time to think about my stomach! :)

Also, I find that on days when I eat "real food" (as opposed to drinking my calories), it keeps the hunger at bay better.  Unfortunately, that usually means getting in a little less protein, because those protein shakes really help get the totals up.  But I find it helps.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

tbtilalaf
on 4/13/13 1:22 am

My hunger returned one month post op! your lucky! I find that if I am not drinking enough I get even more hungery, so don't forget to drink all day, or hunger gets mixed up with thrist. 

Melissa!

Surgery was July 19 2012, and I am doing great!! Only one regret....wish I did this years ago!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CENTURY CLUB!

KathC
on 4/13/13 11:03 pm

Are you taking in to few calories?

Maybe you are hungry I am 5 months post op in 2 days and my goal is 1000 calories a day. I dont always make it, but I am close.

My second chance... November 15, 2012

Lorieliz
on 4/14/13 7:03 am - Canada

Add chia seeds to everything. They are loaded with protein, no cal and tend to make everything you eat keep you feeling full longer. They kind of "jellify" in liquid (tummy).

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Most Active
Recent Topics