Does having sleep apnea hinder my chances of having surgery?

NewMe2.0
on 5/27/13 2:29 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I am going through Guelph. They ask that you get a bunch of tests done after orientation, so that they have the results when you go to your first set of appointments..(social, nutritionist etc..). I met some of their requirements for the sleep test, so I thought I would be proactive and get it done...honestly thinking that i did not have it.  Turns out I do...severe sleep apnea.(I went to the Paris sleep clinic, not the one that has made bad headlines lately/ and a number of OH members recommended it).. So, I stopped breathing 277 times in 4.5 hours, the longest for 93 seconds.

Anyway, I know a lot of people on the forum have this..and I really did not  fully understand what it entailed. 

I was supposed to have day surgery next week.  In the afternoon. When they found out I had sleep apnea they postponed my surgery-for a morning date .  Pre op appointment went well until I met the anesthesiologist, who advised he was not comfortable putting me under..wants to give me an epidural instead (45 minute surgery)...

If they are uncomfortable putting me under for 45 minutes, what is going to happen when I have my RNY?  Mind you, this surgery is at a different hospital.  But it's causing me to panic a little anyway.

Should I be worried?  I know Guelph tends to be over cautious....but Yikes...

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

smallisland
on 5/27/13 3:04 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi, i am going to Guelph and I also have sleep apnea.  From what i understand ...you will be expected to have a sleep apnea machine and to use it when you are in and out of hospital.  I don't think they actually stop doing the surgery for that reason as from what I've read many people who have sleep apnea have the surgery.  Often sleep apnea is weight related so you are not alone.  You can always check with the nurse or the clinic to see what they say.  Best of luck.  kiss Sue

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 12:59 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you Sue.  My initial set of appointments is not until July 15th, so I couldnt check with the clinic.  I know a lot of people on here have it, and I did not think it was a big deal until the anesthesiologist in Milton made it into one.  Good Luck with your journey!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 7:07 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It won't hinder surgery but it needs to be treated for them to operate.  They may have opted for the epidural for the one coming up because you aren't on CPAP yet or you haven't had the machine calibrated for you. 

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 1:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks Tracey.  In my pre op appointment they just told me I had to bring my machine.  The sleep clinic rushed my case so that I could have the machine for my surgery...just waiting on the prescription/provider to get it.  I dont know why the anesthesiologist is being so hard nosed on this...maybe the epidural is just the easier way to go.  Anyway, thanks again for your response.

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/13 2:38 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Did you go back for the 2nd sleep test with the machine?  My sleep doc started me at a pressure he thought was right given the results but then he had me back to sleep again with the machine and then they were able to fine tune the adjustment.  If you haven't done the 2nd one yet, the anesthesist may not be comfortable with doing a general until the 2nd test is done.

NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 2:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi Tracey.  Yes I went back for the second test with the machine...and am just waiting on the prescription to be sent to the cpap place.  Everything was rushed for me so that I could have the machine in time for the surgery.

I think the epidural is just the easier way for them to go for me, as it is only day surgery.  But the weird thing is, they postponed my surgery by a week so I could have a morning time instead of the afternoon time I had.  Apparently they like people with sleep apnea to be done first thing in the morning...i guess to have extra recovery time.  So that is why I am left a little confused.

Anyway, I have a call into my surgeon...I really don't want the epidural, as I had epidural nerve blocks for my chronic back pain, and they left me feeling sick, sore and I ended up having an increased heart beat.  I explained this to the anesthesiologist, who basically made me feel that I was trying to create more work for him.  :( 

Who knows....Anyway, I was more concerned about it hindering my RNY...but my fears seem to have been alleviated, at least for now.

Thanks again for your reply.

Julia P.
on 5/28/13 2:40 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

No problem, good luck to you!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

moniquesgettingft
on 5/27/13 7:21 pm - Scarborough Ontario, Canada
I have sleep apnea as well and I just needed to bring my CPAP machine in with me for when I got out of surgery and the nights I was there.
NewMe2.0
on 5/28/13 1:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics