pouch ulcers

reenie33
on 12/17/13 6:33 am

Does anyone know if there is an increased risk of ulcers after an RNY?  

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/17/13 6:51 am - Windsor, Canada

I think it's more of an issue of how much more of an impact ulcers are after surgery, rather than necessarily getting more of them.  With our previous stomachs, an ulcer can be irritating.  With RNY, they can be devastating and affect whether we can eat or not.  Of course, if we use nsaids it is far worse than the normal population. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Patm
on 12/17/13 8:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

From what i have read it is easier to get ulcers. So we are urged to not take nsaids, caffeine or other irritants

Nerak
on 12/17/13 1:01 pm - Canada

I do believe this was part of the informed consent to surgery. 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

slrm2m2
on 12/18/13 4:43 am - Canada

I asked one of the TWH dieticians about caffeine and she said there isn't a problem with drinking tea or coffee post-op...as tolerated...although not immediately afterward when stomach is so small tha****er and protein shakes are priority...but for long term maintenance, caffeine is okay.  So is gum chewing apparently.  I thought both were off limits.  (glad because I am happily indulging in gum chewing and coffee drinking daily!)

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
Recent Topics