Sleep Apnea

shoshanaApr2013
on 5/13/14 6:53 am
It took me a while to get used to using the machine, but now I can't imagine a night without it! It was really life changing for me. I had no idea how much energy my untreated sleep apnea was sucking from me. Using the CPAP has made a big difference.

As another member pointed out, sleep apnea can be deadly. Get the CPAP and use it! It will take some time to adjust, but it will be worth it!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/14 8:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

My apnea never completely went away and I know a few others that theirs never did either.  All of our pressures were vastly reduced but we still had apnea even with weight loss.  I got a new machine 2 years ago and my out of pocket after ADP paid their part was $260 and that was with upgrading to a full face mask.  My benefits picked up the amount that I had to pay so if you have benefits through work or through a spouse's work, they may cover anything that isn't paid for by ADP.  As someone else said if you are on ODSP or OW, it's usually covered at 100%.  I had no symptoms of apnea at all and was actually sent for a sleep study because I have panic disorder and often they can be caused by apnea.  I had no headaches, never woke up tired, never napped and I have severe apnea with a needed pressure of 16.  It took a few weeks to get used to it but now I just throw the mask on and don't use the ramp or anything and just pass out.  Toughest challenge is finding the right mask for you. I can't do any of the nasal masks at all and even tried the nasal pillows with the mouth shield and still couldn't so it's full face only for me.

Focal
on 5/13/14 11:21 pm - Peterborough, Canada

When I went through the sleep study I was found to have apnea too.  I just got the machine and it has taken a bit to get used to sleeping with it on.  But I do sleep through the night now which I have not done in probably 10 years.  I still have to go back to have another sleep test done with the cpap machine.    I was the same with the masks, I could not use the nasel pillows at all and have a full mask.  My kids think I look like Darth Vadar with it on.

Referral from Family Doctor - November 4/13  |  Orientation date for HRRH - January 9/14  |  1st meeting with surgeon - January 30/14  |  Dietician, Registered Nurse, Social Worker Appointments – Feburary 10/14 | Second Dietician - March 11/14 | Dr Glazer - March 20/14 | Sleep Test - March 24/14 | Sleep Test Results - April 15/14 | 2nd Surgeon Appointment - May 13/14 | PATTS - September 30/14 | Surgery Date - October 21/14

Most Active
Recent Topics