Sleep Apnea

Darbaybe_2014
on 5/12/14 5:50 am - Kitchener, Canada

I am pre surgery.....have all my tests done and I am scheduled to see the Nurse at Guelph on June 3rd and then the SW and Dietician in Guelph on June 16th.  Less than 2 weeks ago I had my sleep study done. They called right away and today I met with the doctor and I have moderate sleep apnea  I am shocked as I did not think I had any sleeping problems other than it takes me awhile to fall asleep... SO now I am waiting for a call in to go stay Over night again in that creepy place and they are going to hook me all up and add a CPAP machine...I am not impressed... Anyway I am just wondering what experience people have had with the CPAP machines and also if it will affect my being approved for surgery?

Thanks

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

redviking
on 5/12/14 6:04 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

If you look back at my post history, you'll see this was a big challenge for me.   Make a commitment to yourself to use your CPAP machine, try to get used to it.  You will have to wear it during your surgery. The only way it will affect your approval for surgery is if you aren't using the machine as the doctor prescribed. 

I had so much trouble getting used to it, I ended up asking my family doctor for a sedative.  That worked perfectly for me. with the sedative, I took about a week to get used to the machine and sleep through the night. 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Darbaybe_2014
on 5/12/14 6:17 am - Kitchener, Canada

Wow thanks for the heads up! I will do my best to get used to it...do you find you feel better sleeping better?

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

on 5/12/14 7:12 am - Canada

I have a cpap machine and they just told me to bring it with me when I go for my surgery

SulowskiT
on 5/12/14 7:21 am

The exact same thing happened to me -today! I went to get my test results and was told I had sleep apnea. I had no idea!  I already have my surgery date, June 18, and was told I had to use the machine so that I would not have any complications when coming out of the anesthetic.

As I am only 5 weeks away, I will be having the in home study for about 5 days this week (they send you home with a special machine to use at night to determine e the setting for your sleep apnea machine) and then I will be getting my machine.

i called my surgeon and was told, no problem, just bring the machine with you on your surgery date! My sleep doctor said I most likely would not have to use the machine Indefinitely because weight loss leads to getting rid of apnea. 

Good luck in your journey.

Swampy1976
on 5/12/14 8:19 am - Marmora, Canada

I was just like you... I had no idea I had any problems sleeping. My husband said I snored a little but no problems. I had headaches often thought that was my high blood pressure and I was always tired but thought that was because I worked nights. Well I have severe sleep apnea. I got my machine and can't believe how much better I feel and how rested I am now. I forgot to put it on a couple times and feel terrible the next day...so I know it isn't just in my head! My clinic wants us on a CPAP machine a min if 3 month prior to surgery. 

Needanewbeginning
on 5/12/14 9:00 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Having sleep apnea is terrifying,but if left untreated it can be deadly. I come on here and say this often, but only when the question about having SA comes up.

Untreated SA can cause a cardiac arrest. This happened to me. Long story short, if you are diagnosed with SA, use your CPAP. It may save your life. 

Now, I am approaching my first year surgaversary, and am going to see my respirologist in a week. My settings on my CPAP have been decreased steadily since my surgery so it looks like they will say I can pack my machine away.

Honestly, it took me months to get used to it and I have to admit I like the idea someone mentioned here of an aid to help them sleep, that may have helped my anxiety with the machine along with trying many different styles of masks. But now that I may be told to pack it away, I wonder how well will I sleep without it, funny eh??

So, if you have SA, just use it as best you can. Maybe you will be lucky and not need the machine post op, maybe you wont. Some folks just keep needing it so please dont think this surgery will 'cure' it. It sometimes helps and sometimes it doesnt.

Good luck with your journey, and honestly, this isnt a bad thing. Its better to know and treat what you have than not know at all. I dont think this diagnosis has ever delayed a surgery or cancelled one. But if you have it and dont use it, thats a whole other story.

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

dfv
on 5/12/14 1:17 pm

I am curious.  Does OHIP cover a CPAP?  If not, how much is one?

Thanks.

Darlene

Referral by GP - April 2/14; Orientation in Guelph - July 10/14; Sleep Study - July 26/14; 1st RN apt - Sept 9/14; 1stSW/DT apt -  

Swampy1976
on 5/12/14 6:47 pm, edited 5/12/14 6:48 pm - Marmora, Canada

OHIP covers most of it & your portion is approx $200.00 plus any upgrades you want from the standard. 

Jiliana2
on 5/12/14 10:09 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I hear that OHIP doesn't cover as much anymore (something about regulations changing earlier this year?) but I don't know the details. I have a coworker who was recently diagnosed and she will be able to tell me more when she returns to work next week. She's been off for a looooong time 'trying to get used to the CPAP machine.' Make of that what you will.

Regardless, I found this link on the Ministry of Health website Assistive Devices - CPAP and there, they say the following:

"ADP will pay 75% of the ADP approved price. You will be charged for the remaining 25%. You may wish to contact the ADP for the current ADP approved price.

If you are receiving social assistance benefits from Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), ADP may pay 100% of the ADP approved price."

Good luck! I hope it all goes super smoothly!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics