Needing a few hugs, a whiney post

Laurie C.
on 7/18/14 11:35 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Morning everyone:

I thought if I wrote all this down I would feel better and you guys are my virtual friends so here goes.  My husband had his RNY in February, he's down 60 pounds and was doing really well, walking 10000 steps and happy.  I should say he has chronic kidney failure and is an insulin dependant diabetic.  His surgery was to lose weight and help with his health problems and it is (was).

Anyway he started slowing down 2 weeks ago, couldn't do his walk, feeling really tired, appetite poor.  Of course he wouldn't hear of going to a doctor or emerg so I convinced him to get his blood work done early.  Now this part is for all you nurses out there, Creatinine was 656 and I can't remember his Urea but it sucked also.  So we went to RVH a week ago yesterday he was admitted in Acute Renal Failure.  Creatinine was up to 750, hgb 103, the man is definite not feeling well.  So with a week of treatment, (they are fortunately trying to avoid dialysis for him), he is retching++, no emesis, feels miserable, IV of Sodium Bicarb running, catheter X 1 week and finally producing some urine but feeling awful.

I am being the good wife, back and  forth to Barrie, sitting by the bed about 8 hours per day, doing all the nursey things except the meds 'cause I'm a RPN also.  I came home Friday afternoon and slept in my own bed and will go back this afternoon.  I took last week off work but will need to return next week.

His creatinine has come down to 550, things are improving a little, I am exhausted but pasting a smile on my face, like all of us good wives do.

I just needed to type this all out to clean out the muddle in my head and make it more manageable.

Thanks for listening.  Any and all advice appreciated.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Patm
on 7/18/14 11:41 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have no advise just sympathy for what appears to be a really hard situation. I hope your husband returns to better health soon.

I know it is hard but try to take care of your self as well. You will be of no use to him if you make yourself ill from exhaustion.

Keep us posted on how you are doing

Karen M.
on 7/18/14 11:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada

So sorry to hear this, Laurie. I can only imagine the incredible stress you're under and sick with worry. Thankfully your husband is exactly where he needs to be - in the hospital receiving the care and treatment he needs. I have no advice. Be sure to take care of you too - I know that seems next to impossible at this point. My very best wishes to your husband for a steady recovery. I'm thinking of you both.

Take care,

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

1HealthyMomma
on 7/19/14 1:28 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

4-Jane
on 7/19/14 4:17 am, edited 7/19/14 4:17 am - Canada

Laurie, sending lots of hugs your way

Respectfully Jane
Caroline K.
on 7/19/14 6:29 am

I hope everything grits better for both of you soon. That sounds really tough.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Almostthere1966
on 7/19/14 10:47 am - Canada

Prayers for you and your husband

You have to look after yourself so that you can help him when he comes home.

Unforunately a side affect of Diabetes in poor  condition is the loss of Kidney, and other body organs . I am also an Insulin dependent diabetic since birth and am very aware of all the side affects. He is in the best place for his care right now and  will soon be feeling better.

Take care and try to get some rest

Kathy

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/19/14 2:10 pm

Laurie, a warm hug to you.  I'm not a "good wife" but a good daughter.  I know what stress does and the best advice I can give is to reach out and get all the support you need and take care of yourself.  My brother died two months before my surgery returning my ailing mother to my care (we normally traded off six months of care each to make it bearable). I got less than 4 weeks respite before needing to deal with my brother's affairs and finding support for my mother so I could have surgery.  It was only at 4:30 Monday night (my surgery was we'd am) that a nursing home agreed to tell her for respite.  Even now, since I'm out of the hospital I've been at the home 4-6 hours a day and it is exhausting.  Luckily I've had friends and coworkers offer help and I realize I need to accept rather than trying to do it all myself.  Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't turn down any reasonable offer of help that's extended.  Sometimes life sucks and the only way to get through is with a lot of support.  Wishing you and your husband all the best and a speedy recovery.

new_me180
on 7/19/14 3:14 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Sending HUGS your way and hope everything turns around for the good for you and your husband.

birdiegirl
on 7/19/14 10:15 pm

Hi Laurie

so sorry for your troubles....your poor husband....its all scary eh?

At what point will they put him on the transplant list?  I cant remember what the numbers need to be......poor guy must be so bloated....

Keeping you in my thoughts....stay stong

Most Active
Recent Topics