Cushing syndrome.

CassieM
on 8/5/14 4:40 am - St.Thomas, Canada

I'm wondering if any of you have Cushing syndrome? I met with the internist and have my appointment with the surgeon Aug 19th. The centre called me today to say they want to have me tested for Cushings. I read up on it and I have lot of the symptoms, but I also have PCOD and diabetes which together seem to have all the same symptoms!

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/14 6:22 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

They thought I had it about 20 years ago, did all the testing and came back negative.  Most overweight people have a higher level of cortisol so they often think we have Cushing's especially if we carry our weight in our upper body and have round faces.

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/5/14 1:55 pm

I don't have cushings but had a black lab who developed cushings then diabetes as a result.  As I recall, with both dogs and people when you develop symptoms there is quite a significant change in body shape.  With dogs they become noticeably pot bellied, with people they become more barrel shaped, with fatty humps between the shoulders and develop more rounded faces.  Cushing is the result of an over production of cortisol which can happen for many reasons e.g. Adrenal or pituitary tumours (usually non cancerous).  The treatment depends on the cause. Our dog took drugs to destroy part of her adrenal glands which were over productive and things evened out.  She still remained diabetic though.  I think it is generally considered quite treatable.  In pets, not sure about humans it is often misdiagnosed and you need to do a lot of testing to confirm the diagnosis.  Best of luck.

PaulaToronto
on 8/6/14 6:14 am - Toronto, Canada

I am currently being tested for it.  I have underactive thyroid and was diabetic and since surgery I have never gotten my energy back and am now quickly gaining although I eat less than 1000 calories a day usually around 800. Getting a diagnosis would be helpful in my case as I have felt ****ty for quite some time now and want to know what is causing it. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

CassieM
on 8/7/14 12:32 am - St.Thomas, Canada

Thanks everyone. I went for the am cortisol test today so I guess I will know in a couple days whether or not it's an issue!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics