*UPDATE*

new_me180
on 8/9/14 3:48 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well i eventually dragged myself to Guelph hospital yesterday and it took FOREVER to do anything yesterday. I know they were busy but man, that was the longest time i've stayed in their ER. The ER Doc was nice(they always are). The blood work was normal and soon after i drank that nasty CT scan juice, the machine broke down. So i had to wait longer for them to come up with a plan which eventually sent me on a trip to Fergus and i had to drink some more nasty stuff. Well Dr Reed was on vacation :( and after i heard who was covering for him,  i broke down in tears as i didn't want anything to do with this doc. I told the ER doc that i will not entertain this doc, didn't value his opinion and after how he treated me last time, will not see the guy.The poor ER doc tried to plead and beg as there was no other surgeon to see or treat me as it was the weekend. I stuck to my guns and beliefs and told them I'd rather be transferred to another bariatric hospital, given pain meds, go home and wait for my surgeon to get back or die. Seriously i kid you not, i was that pissed of at the other surgeon. Besides, i was not going to receive care from a man i reported for negligence just a few months ago. Even if he doesn't retaliate, i would not comfortably be able to deal with him and his bedside manner nor trust any of his judgement or treatment. I got even more upset when this surgeon suggested to the ER doc i go home and take the max does of prevacid and sulcrate until Dr Reed comes back and see if that works. Mind you my pain was about a 8/9 out of 10 and i told them it wasn't even the same pain i got when i had an ulcer nor in the same spot. I refused to go home until my pain was at least under control and or more test were done, which is what happened(above).

Eventually the ER doc and myself came to a compromise and i agreed that the other surgeon will order some tests that will be reviewed by him and an independent person but, i would not let him see me or touch me. This is what eventually happened, got doped up, had my tests which were negative(they always are no matter how sick i get). Once the pain subsided i got my discharge and told to follow up with Dr Reed in a couple of weeks. They couldn't find the cause of the pain which was annoying but at least the morphine took the edge off. I'm not too bad today so i'll see how that goes.

Karen M.
on 8/9/14 6:54 am - Mississauga, Canada

Well, a bit of a freakin' ordeal, eh? GLAD you went despite the waiting around and field trip. Also glad to hear you're feeling a little better today. You hang in there.

Karen xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

new_me180
on 8/9/14 10:26 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Karen for the well wishes. What a day it was yesterday for sure. I'm glad i went just to be sure there was nothing wrong but, once the morphine wore off i still had some pain. Hope it will turn around this week though.

Sassy75
on 8/9/14 10:45 am - North York, Canada

I hope you start to feel better and can find some answers about what keeps causing this pain. Have they looked at non bariatric causes? Or they soley think your surgery caused the pain?

new_me180
on 8/9/14 12:12 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Sassy, i hope so too. For now i assume they just think it's bariatric, haven't really had any other symptoms that point otherwise. I tolerate ANYTHING i eat without problems, good thing i decided to adapt good eating habits when i signed up for the surgery or else i'd be eating everything i wanted. The problems i've had after surgery are things like ulcers, adhesions, micro scratches to the pouch, acid reflux, things directly related to the surgery. Well this pain came out of nowhere and it was really sharp and intense, different kind of pain compared to the other times. My surgeon told me months ago that he might have to do a review if i continue to have problems from the "scratches" in my pouch. I don't think this was the cause though as it was totally different.

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/9/14 11:47 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Yikes," scratches in your pouch"???? I am pre surgery and this is freaking me out!  I am glad you went to the ER but doesn't sound like much was accomplished beside giving you meds.   You say you loerate everything you eat, but if you are having acid reflux  and ulcers it doesn't sound to me like you are tolerating :(  I have acid reflux NOW and I am hoping with the surgery and the new "tool" I have I will have less acid reflux....yikes now I am sceeered...

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Karen M.
on 8/10/14 1:39 am - Mississauga, Canada

No need to be scared. Everyone's body is different and chances are, you'll have no difficulties. I think you hit the nail on the head a little  - "you say you tolerate everything you eat, but if you are having acid reflux and ulcers it doesn't sound to me like you are tolerating" - I agree with you right there. ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

new_me180
on 8/10/14 6:15 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Oh don't freak out, i think i am just one of the few and my complications are minor to me, not one of those horror stories you hear about, you'll be fine. It's just a little upsetting when i have pain but, for the most part i'm pretty happy with my decision to have surgery.

I had an ulcer three weeks after surgery and the surgeon said it was a marginal one that happens when the joining parts aren't healing properly. When he did a scope to follow up, he told me the ulcer was healed but, there were those micro scratches that he couldn't explain. Don't know if that is the cause of my pain from time to time. I think i do tolerate everything i eat as i have no nausea, vomiting, foamies, upset stomach etc.. I should have made it clear that it was just one ulcer though and i also had acid before surgery. Although it took a while to get under control, it's pretty good now. Don't be scared, you'll be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics