2nd round of appointments Wednesday at Guelph and I am worried

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/24/14 11:54 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Hello everyone, I am going through Guelph for my surgery.....I am meeting with the Social worker, Dietician and Nurse for the scond round of appointments on Wednesday this week. I have all my tests done and everything is in order that way. My only concern is I have not lost any   weight from my last appointment which was a couple months ago. I believe I may have gained. My scales here at home are different than the ones they have there, and I always weigh first thing in the morning. I am going to be honest and just explain to them, it's been a very stressful summer....and BBQ's and such....This has be worried that I MIGHT not be a good candidate for this surgery if I can't deal with stress  as I know there will ALWAYS be stress in my life... It also has me wondering about all the talk I see on here about "emotional eating, stress eating"....I may be wrong....and I love the honesty on here so I know I will get some....Don't Most people who are obese have some type of stress eating, or emotional eating component to their weight?  To say that one needs to be totally free from stress eating / emotional eating in order to qualify  for this surgery is a bit unrealistic don't you think? 

Anyway I am nervous about how I am going to justify the no weight loss and also wondered how important it is to them to see weight loss prior to surgery approval.... I have tried, but you all know what it is like...I will do great for 4 days, lose 3 lbs and then be invited to a BBQ and gain back 3....my body is up and down like a toilet seat....AND I do find waiting for surgery is stressful... I also am realistic about the surgery....thus why I worry...I know it is just a tool and I will need to measure, weigh and be mindful of my choices...I KNOW this....and If I can't get it together now...will I be able to latter...

For those of you who have had surgery.....did any of you go through this during your waiting period?  If so how did you handle it...I am just worried that this might not be for me or they will not approve the surgery...since I have not been losing...

Dar 

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

NewMe2.0
on 8/25/14 12:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi Dar,

Okay, first take a deep breath.  I don't think Guelph will refuse your surgery based on you gaining, but they may hold you back for a few months to see if you can lose.  They are strict that way. If you have not gained and stayed the same, that is okay.  And you are right about needing to deal with the stress eating, because if you are not able to get a handle on it now, how will you cope after surgery.  With that being said, there are programs out there (Craving change workshops) that can help you address food issues.  Guelph also has a support group that meets on Wednesdays I believe..perhaps ask when you are there.

Try not to worry about your upcoming appointments, what will be will be.  Starting today, pick yourself up and try again..try to make better choices and when you want to stress eat go for a walk or do something else.  You have already made some progress in realizing that you have some issues that need to be dealt with.

Good luck on Wednesday.

Vicky

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/25/14 4:49 am - Kitchener, Canada

Thanks , the last appointment I had with the social worker she suggested the craving change program. So i have registered for the fall...the first class is on Thursday night Sept.19th  I believe. I can usually lose weight very well, very fast..( when my head is in the right space)....I have not gained more than 3 pounds...and from the time of referral I am don e 10 pounds....but I really thought I could have more weight off by this appointment....I hope the craving change program helps...like I have always said....I only want this surgery if I am a good candidate....the last thing I want is to have surgery and fail that as well...SO this is why I AM OK with the long very intense screening process.....thanks for your response :) 

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

NewMe2.0
on 8/25/14 5:12 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Dar..you may be totally fine...and those 3lbs may be gone by Wednesday..could just be water retention..but if you are down overall, than that is a positive.  They may just warn you that you cannot gain any more, and they will weigh you at your next appointment which should be your post op food class...Try not to stress anymore about it.  You seem to have a good attitude about things and I think its a great thing that you are trying to get yourself in the best frame of mind possible.  Again, good luck to you...please let us know how you made out.  :)

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/25/14 5:38 am - Kitchener, Canada

Thanks, I need to stop stressing about it, you are right.....Might be a good time to get back into my meditation class!  I so appreciate everyone reassurance on here :) 

Solstice
on 8/25/14 12:54 am
RNY on 11/27/14

As suggested above, check this out:

http://www.wwselfmanagement.ca/Individual-Craving-Change.htm

I live in an area where these things are distant to me, but it looks really good...and its free!

Solstice

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/14 12:54 am

Hi Dar, I went through Guelph, they are very nice and understanding there, but they do have expectations you need to meet as well. As long as you are maintaining your beginning weight when they first weighed you or are with in a max 5 pound weight gain, you should be fine. Any more than that they may want a 3rd appointment to see if you have maintained at least. Worse case scenario they could hold you back from surgery until you prove that you are dedicated to improving your eating habits.

Everyone has stresses in life, they understand that, thats why there is a social worker you can contact anytime. Also attending bbq's and partys is not an excuse for weight gain that they will accept, you have to have control of your eating habits, only you can control that. This is the time they want you to prove to them that you really are committed YOU CAN DO THIS, you just have to get in the right mind set. Just ask yourself how bad do you want this surgery. Again YOU  CAN DO THIS.. good luck

Darbaybe_2014
on 8/25/14 4:51 am - Kitchener, Canada

Thank you, I do want this but the key like you just said is being in the right "mind set".. I am still down 10 pounds from my referral date...but I really wanted to be down more this time....But I will keep working on it...thanks :)

Catw
on 8/25/14 1:05 am - Arnprior, Canada

While everyone has stress problems in thier lives, not everyone eats for it.  I'm an example, if I get really stressed, I stop eating.  Truth is, that's as bad if not worse than eating.  Before WLS I had a week where I didn't know if my Mom would live or die, I lost 15 lbs that week.  Because I didn't eat.  Now I can't afford to do that.

There are resources available to help you find ways of dealing with your stress other than eating.  Part of your journaling will help you with that too.  Just be willing to reach out for the help.

Good luck on your journy.

Cathy

Solstice
on 8/25/14 1:48 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Yes, isn't food so complicated? We need it to live, but sometimes we live to eat instead. I discovered too, that I don't eat when I am under stress, I too stop eating instead of overeating... Its more like mindless eating for me...Have you tried MyFitness Pal for logging eating? It is really neat how it shows you what you are lacking, and eating too much of...hello fruits and vegetables! If you are worried about too, it means you are thinking about it...and this too is what the program is about. Helping you now. Not just for surgery. Be honest and get their advice, that is what they (the dieticians) are there for, use it. I find them to be very kind...I am sure they have seen it all before too.

Solstice

Most Active
Recent Topics