Celiac and RNY question

Julz1974
on 8/31/14 1:42 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Good day all, thanks for taking the time to read this i appreciate it.  I was just wondering if anyone is Celiac and has had the RNY surgery or is going too.  I am curious to see how they have managed and what things they are eating and using after the surgery and if they can tolerate some gluten now being that the surgery bypasses where some troubles are caused for Celiac patients.  Any advice or guidance is appreciated, thank you.

Just a side note, I have Celiac Disease!  Not a gluten diet I have chosen, not a fad diet I have chosen, not a gluten intolerance people have....I am a full blown Celiac No half way for me....I write this only because I feel some or most are mislead to the importance of Celiac and that it is something that can infact cause death if it is not taken care of and taken serious by the person diagnosed....sadly the term "gluten free" has been given a bad rap as a choice and diet and is hard for people to realize it means something serious to those who do not have a choice and suffer with it.  

(If you have chosen a gluten free lifestyle way to go it is not easy😉 I commend you for doing it for yourself)

thanks everyone!  Have a good day, cheers!  

Sassy75
on 8/31/14 1:59 am - North York, Canada

I have celiac disease ( there is also one other person on this thread that has celiac that I am aware of) we have both had the sleeve. As I am sure you are aware, gut cancers are high for celiac's so the thought of not being able to scope part of the intestine and stomach was not something I was willing to risk. 

Are you planning on having surgery? I am not sure if the RNY would have any real affect on celiac symptoms however I do know that celiac affects the entire small intestine and the RNY does not bypass the entire small intestine. 

If you have any question or would like to discuss, just let me know and good luck :)

Surgery date August 11, 2014 gastric sleeve with Dr. Rotstein at St.Mike's

starting weight 309 4 months out 237

glutenfreeslimmer
on 8/31/14 12:52 pm - Kingston, Canada

I'm the other person with Celiac Disease that Sassy 75 mentioned.  Bypassing some of the intestine will not help with your celiac disease, it may in fact cause more serious mal-absorption issues, as your intestine is most likely not absorbing like someone without CD.  A Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy - VSG is most likely what your surgeon will suggest.  It is a simpler operation than an RNY, but it is still a serious surgery.  There are some alterations we need to make in the stages of eating after the operation, but those can be dealt with, with help from Sassy 75 and me.  There are many protein shakes available these days that are gluten free, as well as protein bars.  Optifast that you have to use before surgery is gluten free, so that helps too.  The diet for life after surgery is high in protein, how in carbs and calories and vitamin/mineral supplements are a must.  You are likely taking some vitamin/mineral supplements already because of CD.  You are also likely staying away from many processed foods (as they contain gluten).  So the eventual diet you will follow will be a gf "clean" diet, with an emphasis on protein.  The way I looked at it was if we (those of us who have to be on a gf diet) can do the gf diet, we can do this, and the surgery is the tool to help us in our weight loss.  Feel free to message me with any questions you might have.

Most Active
Recent Topics