Alcohol intake

Sassy75
on 11/4/14 12:04 pm - North York, Canada

hi everyone!! 

Anyone at TWH remember what the guideline is in regard to alcohol intake? I can't remember. It is my birthday next week and I wanted to know if I can have a glass of wine. I am 3 months out with a sleeve.

probably wishful thinking but thought I would pose the question 

Needanewbeginning
on 11/4/14 12:35 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I had RNY through HRRH. My centre suggests one year out. Three months, ahm, I truly think that's a bit too soon even for one glass.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Nanato2
on 11/4/14 7:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I am at TWH they told us 6 months I also had a sleeve and when I talked to them at 6 months they still did not want me to drin****il at least a year out. 

At 1 year post op I had a 1/4 glass of wine and I was out cold I am almost 2 years and 1 or 2 drinks and I am out for the count.

Remember alcohol is empty calories.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

libra1
on 11/4/14 10:43 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

I had my sleeve from TWH and they told me 6 months. Alcohol does not effect me any differently than before I had the surgery. Everyone's body reacts differently. 

Karen M.
on 11/5/14 12:54 am - Mississauga, Canada

Happy Birthday next week :)

All I can do is offer words of caution with respect to drinking. Your liver is working double-time during your weight loss phase (and beyond, to be honest). Please trust me when I say you do NOT want issues with your liver, ever. An occasional drink after 6 months or a year, sure, enjoy! At 3 months, I wouldn't.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

KerryF.
on 11/5/14 3:28 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I'm with TWH and the old rule was 6 months...... last January they announced 1 year preferably 18 months, (at the same time they made that changed they also changed the amount of liquid calcium to 3 times a day)

I remember because I asked the dietician and she said research is always making them change procedures and offer more informed processes.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Sassy75
on 11/5/14 7:47 am - North York, Canada

Thanks everyone for the replies!!! I thought it may be too early as well but thought I'd double check. I was not a big drinker before (maybe once or twice a year) so it is no big deal, just wanted to be prepared in case it is offered to me. Normally I would accept (pre-surgery) so I was just thinking about how this year will differ from last :)

otmama
on 11/5/14 10:32 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

I'm 6mnths out - I had my first glass of wine last week - which I sipped very slowly bc I wasn't sure how it would affect me!  I didn't notice a difference from pre-surgery although I did feel a little sick to my stomach the next morning.  Definitely something I will save for special occasions:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Most Active
Recent Topics