Stupid question

melshorty
on 6/15/15 1:03 pm - london, Canada

I am pre op and can't seem to remember if I've learned this or not. Can you tell me do sugar substitutes cause dumping?

Thanks,  melissa

Pamela.S.
on 6/15/15 1:56 pm - Canada

No "stupid" questions, we are all here to learn and share.

I would say the answer is "NO" as we can eat things that have sugar substitutes.  I was told to aim for less than 5 g of fat and 9 g of sugar in a food serving.  I often have regular items - like Greek Yogurt because I'm trying to stay away from all the chemicals.  But I do like Dasani drops in my water, and that has sucralose. 

For me, high fat will cause me to feel very sick, so I jus****ch the fat and sugar in everything I eat.  I don't know if it's dumping, but spending all that time in the bathroom doesn't feel too good!

When you're pre op, it can seem like eating will be overwhelming, but after the first few weeks, when you're back on solids, you check labels and you'll be surprised at how many "regular" foods you can eat without worrying about getting sick.

Good luck!

Pam

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

Monica9811
on 6/15/15 2:19 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Sugar alcohol made me dump so be careful of that. Natural sugar in fruit can also make you dump. 

mrs_smith_canada
on 6/15/15 3:27 pm

This is very dependent on the person - dumping in general! 

I only dumped if I foolishly ate something really sweet and that was only in the first two years. I would suggest getting off all sugar sub's though - not good in the long run. Some options; 

lemon or fresh orange tinted water 

tea with a little bit of honey 

any herbal tea cooled with ice 

good luck! 

07-01-2011 SW 311 LBS

WEIGHT LOSS PRE-SURGERY 37 LBS

SURGERY DATE 10-06-2011 274 LBS 

GOAL WEIGHT 145 

CW 143 

Karen M.
on 6/15/15 3:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Actually, they can. I know several people who dump off of them (thankfully I'm not one of them!). Too much of them makes me feel nauseous and yucky, so I generally avoid them when possible.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mallory
on 6/15/15 4:33 pm - Toronto, Canada

I agree with Monica, avoid the sugar alchohols.  Especially malititol.  Gives you the trots.

~ Harshing On Grooves Since 1967

~ Acting My Shoe Size Since 1984

Seyenna
on 6/15/15 5:28 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Dumping only occurs in about 30% of people, personally I haven't dumped - yet, but who knows :)

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics