I'm Back!

judyeliz
on 7/23/15 10:30 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I have been in the hospital all week.  I developed a "pseudo anurism" on my left femoral artery.  It was where they inserted catheters last week to do my cardiac surgery.  If there is a rare complication, I will be the lucky person to get it!  So they repaired it on Tuesday, then I had some heart issues on Wednesday, and they let me come home today.  My left leg is swollen and bruised unbelievably from the leaking artery.  It is really difficult to move around.  The cardiologist told me yesterday it will be about 6 weeks to resolve.  The bruising is to my knee now, and he said it will end up going all the way to my foot.  So I am dragging this leg around that feels like it is full of cement.  

So now I have more weeks ahead of me that I can't do walking or any exercise.  I have to be careful that the repaired artery does not start bleeding again.  I am starting to think that my "honey moon" period will be over before I can take full advantage.  I know Pat said I will lose weight, even if not exercising, as long as I am sticking to the plan, which I am.  Unfortunately, right now I have gained weight.  I think I must have about 20 pounds of fluid and blood in my leg that needs to be re-absorbed.  And now I am slightly anemic from the blood loss.  It never rains it pours.  

So Karen, no Partay for me this week.  

Hope everyone here is having a great week,  I will live vicariously through the posts here.

Bye for now, It seems like it is nap time time for me, have to try to elevate my cement leg as much as possible.  fun wow!

judy 

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/23/15 11:38 am - Canada

Hang in there.... you are right, it kinda poured on you BUT NOW you've got nothing but blue skies ahead!!!! I wish you a speedy recovery

judyeliz
on 7/23/15 5:28 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Thank you 

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Monica9811
on 7/23/15 11:40 am - Peterborough, Canada

Wow Judy you have had quite the time.  I wish you a speedy recovery and no more complications from here on in.  You will continue to lose weight if you are following the plan-getting your protein in is key!  The weight you came home with is only temporary and it too will go down.  You have a good outlook and can do this!  All the best with your healing and your continued journey.

judyeliz
on 7/23/15 5:29 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Thank you Monica 

crqvingchange
on 7/23/15 3:58 pm

Glad that you are on the mend.  You will be back in fighting shape in no time.  I have been where you are and I know it's frustrating.  I had a bad fall at 6 months post op and ended up in hospital.  It was 2 months of recovery before I could even start to barely exercise.  But let me tell you that I am making up for it now at 1 year post op, I am exercising harder.  Tomorrow I start Zumba, in addition to swimming and yoga.  You will get better and you will be exercising before you know it.  Your honeymoon period will not be over, and you will continue to lose.  Watch out for the pitfalls I had when I was laid up - don't shop online, don't turn to snacking out of boredom, do exercise what you can, ie your arms or upper body, do plan you meals and snacks, and keep posting here when you are not taking restorative naps.  Big hugs to you Judy.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

judyeliz
on 7/23/15 5:38 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

I remember reading your posts when you had the fall, and I felt so bad for you.  It gives me hope to know about how well you are doing now.  And you are right, planning meals is the key.  I don't have much else to do now, so I have no excuse.  I just wish I could do my own grocery shopping, but hubby does the best he can with the "very detailed" lists I give him.  I eat so different now, he is on this learning curve too.  It's just not the same, not be able to go to the grocery store, read labels yourself, buy new things to try, or picking fresh produce.

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. 

Judy

Karen M.
on 7/24/15 5:04 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ohmygosh Judy, what a freakin' ordeal you've been through! I was wondering where you were!

From experience, fluid retention does weigh a lot. When I was ill a couple of years ago, fluid would build in my abdomen (I seriously looked and felt 9 months pregnant) and I would have to go at least once per week to have it drained - I would lose 20-25 pounds each time. Talk about head games for the WLS-girl.

Do not give "wasting the honeymoon period" a second thought please. You are only wasting it if you eat crap. Pat is absolutely correct - you will lose weight without exercise, no question about it. Exercise tones and strengthens your body, eating properly makes you lose weight. "You can't outrun/outexercise a poor diet", plain and simple - do not stress about this. Your health and healing are far more important at this point.

I have been having a daily patio partay - what gorgeous weather! I shall partake today in your honour.

Happy healing and keep in touch please!

K. XOXO

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

judyeliz
on 7/24/15 5:29 am
RNY on 04/24/15

Thank you Karen for your kindness and words of wisdom.  

I am happy to hear you have been enjoying your time off and your new patio/backyard.

I will definitely be at you patio party in spirit. 

judy

Patm
on 7/24/15 6:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

When I was on opti I lost about 18 lbs. When I went in for surgery I was a little dehydrated from the opti trots. So they pumped me full of a ton of fluids. I came home from surgery and the scale said I had gained all the weight back I lost on opti. It was of course just fluid retention. I am sure yours will come off the same.

You have been through so much just try to get back on your feet

Most Active
Recent Topics