Prenatal Vitamins Post op

judyeliz
on 8/11/15 6:41 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

I was at the Humber bariatric clinic today.  When going over my vitamins, the dietitian told me I only need to take 1 prenatal a day.  I had been taking two.  She said, that if my bloodwork I had done today shows any deficiencies I would need to add a separate supplement, iron ect. I was positive that somewhere along the way, someone had told me to take 2.  I am pretty sure that some people on this forum take 2 a day. I didn't think that too much vitamins would be an issue with the malabsorption.  Anyone have any information/comments?

Thanks, 

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/11/15 7:27 pm - Canada

I don't know if this clarifies anything but post op my clinic suggests as an option instead of splitting or swallowing the large prenatal vit that we can replace it with 2 Centrum 50+ chewable multivitamins.   I also believe that his is meant to be temporary during the healing process. :)

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

judyeliz
on 8/12/15 6:31 am
RNY on 04/24/15

I took two of the centrum chewables for about two months post op.  The taste then started to bother me.  That was when I switched to prenatal multi's.  I do chop them up, but I still prefer them to the chewables.  I am even happier now that I only have to take one a day. 

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

KristieA
on 8/11/15 8:17 pm - Orillia, Canada

I find vitamins are an individual thing.   Personally I have been only taking one prenatal a day for the last 4 years.   My blood work is within normal ranges.  I do add in extra vitamin D and A.  I had huge issues with iron for about 2 years and Feramax still didn't help.   All is good now.   Had a few rounds of infusions and an endometrial ablation. 

Some people continue with chewables,  some a one a day but take two.   It is a trial and error to see what works for you.   Follow their advice at the clinic and listen to your body.   Most importantly don't forget to take your vitamins. 

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Most Active
Recent Topics