Pah! No sense of humour

Meggles07
on 1/20/16 7:17 pm - Canada

I generally like to joke around with the people at the bariatric clinic. I distinctly remember apologizing to the one receptionist one day for being weird (I wanted a photo of their junk food board). The other receptionist laughed and said, "don't worry, she has to work with me."

Anyways, I had a follow up appointment with the surgeon and while I was there I asked the nurse to take my blood pressure. She told me to sit in the blue chair -- there were two blue chairs side by side (light and dark blue). She said they needed to get a green chair or something. I told her that I call the light blue chairs the "big-butt chairs". They are nice and wide and comfy, which I found awesome pre-op. She said "we don't call anything big around here" -- 

I guess I shouldn't be calling them that anymore... I got told.

At the same visit I saw my surgeon. He asked if I wanted to lose weight. I said "umm, yeah. That's why I had surgery"...  Again with the straight face. 

roxytrim
on 1/21/16 5:27 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Ouch! On the surgeon comment.  I call it the puppy mill, they are all so busy around there getting everyone through - don't know if they are coming or going.

As far as the chair comment, I was put in my place very quickly after making a simular comment - and deserved it.  We don't need to jump on the "abuse the obese people" bandwagon.  It's a very crowded wagon and I'm sure all the employees are given very strict sensitivity guidelines.  When I was MO I did appreciate not being treated as an acception, like I was in the real world 

Meggles07
on 1/21/16 5:33 am - Canada

It's interesting, and I have posted about this before, but I still have the big girl mentality, so when I joke about those things I wouldn't feel like I was discriminating against obese people. I called them big butt chairs when I was just starting out the process. I think they are great chairs. They made me feel like the clinic knew their patients and were making good accommodations. 

And you are right about the surgeon. He got about give patients through in 30 minutes because he had shown up late.

Seyenna
on 1/21/16 7:01 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I was always really bad for making fat girl jokes and I've been asked to stop doing that now that I'm the smaller in my "group". It was a weird head trip.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Most Active
Recent Topics