Anybody home?

Linda_S
on 9/28/12 2:04 am - Eugene, OR
This used to be a very active board.  I know there are a lot of OH Oregonians who have had surgery and I'm wondering how you all are doing?  Come on back in and let us know how life is after surgery.  Did you lose all you wanted to?  Did you lose too much?  Do you feel fit and healthy?  Run down and tired?  How has your life changed since surgery?

I've had a few complications, but overall, I'm much healthier and happier.  Life is good, I'm a lot smaller than I used to be, and now that I'm retired, I spend each day taking the dog for a walk, playing ball, and quilting!  I'm still very happy I had the surgery. 

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Ladytazz
on 9/29/12 1:48 pm
I had WLS in 2002 and didn't do very well.  I had a lot of unpleasant side effects and regained most of my weight back.  I was so sick I could barely leave my house.  I didn't have the energy to get dressed most days.  I went back to my surgeon and begged for a reversal but was told I couldn't be reversed, only revised.  I decided to make the best of it and I have lost the excess weight and then some.  I am in the process of trying to gain some back without going overboard.  My health is better then it was but I still tire easily.  It's hard to tell if it's because of the surgery of just because I am getting older.  I feel like the surgery has aged me even faster then normal.  I wish I didn't get to the point where I needed surgery.  I know I would never have been able to lose weight and keep it off without it but I'm still not sure I can keep it off with it.  I am a heavy duty, die hard compulsive overeater and carb addict.  The only way I can manage is to totally avoid refined carbs.  I don't eat anything with sugar or gluten in it.  I can't do those things moderately.  It would be like a heroin addict trying to use heroin socially.  It's all or nothing with me.  The truth is whether or not I had surgery I would still have to avoid those things in order to lose weight and keep it off.  I am just hoping the surgery gives me the edge to stick with it instead of giving in to my hunger.  The surgery has made it so I don't get hungry like I used to and that I am satisfied with smaller amounts of food.  I guess that is the best I can hope for.  I went into WLS thinking it was the cure to my obesity and that I would never have to worry about my weight again and I was sorely disappointed.  Now I realize that there is no cure and that I will always need to deal with it.  It really is just a tool to be able to do what I need to do.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Linda_S
on 9/30/12 3:35 am - Eugene, OR
Hey Lady Tazz!  Thanks for stopping in.  Who was your surgeon, if you don't mind my asking?  I wouldn't mind having a revision to get my duodenum back into the mix.  I generally need to sleep almost everytime I eat, and it's getting tiresome both in terms of being very tired and missing out on half my life.  It sounds as though you've been through a lot, but still have a good attitude.  I wish you luck in regaining some of your weight.  I'd gladly give you some of mine if it were transferrable.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Ladytazz
on 10/2/12 2:34 pm
 I had Dr. Deveney ay OHSU.  I've had a lot of people offer to give me some of their excess weight.  I still have a fear.of regaining too much. Trying to put weight on just feels wrong. It goes against
everything I have ever done.  I don't like the way I look now.  I feel better with more weight on me.  I am sure it will all work out.
Do you ever attend any support groups.   I would like to find a nice local group.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics