Surgery on Monday

zsodja
on 10/30/12 9:02 am - OR

Hi everyone - On Monday I will be having bypass surgery done by Dr Emma Patterson! I'm excited, also a little nervous. Looking forward to losing weight!

Zoe

Linda_S
on 10/30/12 12:13 pm - Eugene, OR

Congratulations, Zoe!  I hope you'll have a great surgery and a speedy recovery.  Follow your doctor's orders, and you should do very well.  I know several people who had surgery with Dr. Patterson and liked her very much.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

zsodja
on 11/8/12 4:02 am - OR

I do like Dr Patterson, she's an excellent surgeon - but am not so happy with her office. They don't answer questions, get back to you when you leave a message, call the pharmacy etc. That's my one gripe about her.

Question: Just out of curiosity, I weighed myself this morning & I had gained 5 pounds since before the surgery on Monday! My partner says there must be something wrong with the scale but I do feel bloated - is there any way I could have gained weight since the surgery?

Thanks - Zoe

Linda_S
on 11/8/12 4:12 am - Eugene, OR

That's totally normal, Zoe.  While you're in the hospital, they've got that IV in you constantly and they pump you full of fluid.  It causes the bloat and the weight gain.  It will be gone soon.  Along your journey (if I recall correctly, it has to do with threes), you will notice stalls.  You'll start losing and then about three weeks later, it will stall and you'll panic.  Then you will start losing again very fast indeed, and at about three months, nada!  The scale will not budge.  Then it will start up again.  Don't panic, follow doctor's orders, and you'll be fine.  

BTW, I think most surgeons are plagued with incompetent staff.  Not sure why, if there's too much turn-over or what, but it always seems to be that no one is on the same page.  I opted for giving myself the B12 injections instead of another pill to take all the time, and they trained me in the hospital.  When I went to the pharmacy to pick up the B12 and syringes, they'd ordered me a size 18 needle!  The lower the number, the bigger they are.  I called and asked if they wanted me to take a core sample of my body!!  The nurse thought that B12 was a viscous solution -- yes, it's the color of cough syrup, but it's very liquid -- so she gave me big needles.  I now have size 25 needles and don't mind stabbing myself with those.

Best wishes!

Linda

mickeymantle
on 11/4/12 1:58 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hope you are home and doing great

zsodja
on 11/8/12 4:00 am - OR

Came home yesterday - the surgery went very well, I had very little pain in comparison to others I know who've had it. I'm still very tired though.

Linda_S
on 11/8/12 4:14 am - Eugene, OR

It takes quite a while to clear all that anesthesia from your system.  Sip your water and go for walks when you can.  That will help to flu**** out.

mickeymantle
on 11/8/12 4:17 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

glad your home and doing good , just take it easy and heal, and follow the dr's plan and the pounds will melt away

Most Active
Recent Topics