Oregon DSers?

Sharon C.
on 12/15/12 1:32 am - OR

Greetings State-Mates.

I was wondering if there are other Oregonians on OH with the Duodenal Switch and if so, how are you handling your after care?  Would you recommend your PCP?

thank you!

Revision with Dr John Rabkin 4/26/12

Highest Weight 297, Revision Weight 254, Current Weight 130

Linda_S
on 12/17/12 5:59 am - Eugene, OR

Hi Sharon - not many folks post on this board.  I know there was a gal in Portland, I think her name was Vicki, who had a DS about a year after I had my surgery.  

I'm wondering about your revision with Dr. Rabkin - what was your first surgery?  I'm an RNY patient and, although I've not gained a lot of weight back, I have severe hypoglycemia, to the point where I cannot tolerate many carbs at all.  I'd love to know a bit about the process you went through and if your insurance covered your revision.

Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Sharon C.
on 12/25/12 3:10 am - OR

hi Linda -- Sorry I missed your reply!  This isn't a very active board is it :-)

Regarding my revision w/Rabkin.  I had a lapband placed by Emma Patterson in ~2007 and started having problems with it within a year --- started researching revision options.  Fortunately, I was working with Patterson's office, a health coach assigned by my insurance & my PCP regularly so getting revision approval was a breeze as I had lots of documentation.  I was really lucky -- I've read many, many folks have had to fight for revisions sadly.  

One of the reasons I did not stay local for an RNY was because of the RH as you mentioned.  Also I have a bad back & take Advil more than I could with a RnY, the regain, etc. all just made me realize the DS was the best option for me.  Initially I was concerned with the aftercare but found Rabkin's local support group. (Did you know Rabkin had a local support group?  It's been kinda of dead for the last year but a couple of folks are interested in getting it back up & running.  Rabkin's office is committed to provide support, too (he has a house in the PDX area so visits occasionally)).  I understand there's a DS surgeon in the Seattle area, too.  

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer.  Is the insurance coverage your biggest hurdle?  Or are you concerned with aftercare?

Best -- Sharon

Revision with Dr John Rabkin 4/26/12

Highest Weight 297, Revision Weight 254, Current Weight 130

Vicki PNW
on 3/10/13 6:22 am

I am THE Vicki whom Linda mentioned.  I have lost weight and want to lose about 50 more pounds.

I haven't gone to the clinic for nearly 2 years due to a snafu with the staff.  I will, however, have an appointment with my PCP next month as part of my insurance wellness program and will have the DS blood work done as well as the vaccines for pneumonia and herpes zoster.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active
Recent Topics