VSG through Kaiser insurance available yet?

kayOliver
on 3/11/13 7:52 pm - Portland, OR

Hello everyone. I am new and have kaiser and was wondering if anyone has any information as to why kaiser (in Oregon) is currently not offering VSG as an option. I was told I have to take this "MASTERING WEIGHT MANAGEMENT" (I opt for the webinar since i live an hour out of town) course before or after approval anyways so I am and will be done next month. My packet did not list VSG as an option so I called and spoke with MARY LOU (Portland-Kaiser sunnyside) and was told currently they only offer the BYPASS or THE BAND but I would need to talk to a surgeon for more info. I can't find anyone that has KAISER that lives in Portland/surrounding area that has had the VSG. If you know of anyone in Oregon with Kaiser insurance and had the VSG done please let me know. Thank You.

mickeymantle
on 3/12/13 2:27 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

welcome to the forum I don't use Kaiser, you might be able to get them to cover it if there are medical  reasons  you can't have the bypass , stay away from the band you hear of to many problems with it 
if you can't get the sleeve and there are no medical reasons   not to get the ryn that is a great surgery also

if you think you must get the sleeve and they will not pay you have the option to self pay(it is much easier that way if you have the money)Mexico is an option but do your  homework if you go there and get a top doctor, and make shore you local doctors will treat you after going there some will not

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Rubielee
on 3/21/13 3:01 pm - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

Hi, I live in Portland and have Kaiser.  They sadly do not perform the VSG procedure, although there are weight loss clinics in Portland that do and they might take your insurance.  I was a self pay and went to Mexico and am doing great!  My Kaiser PCP is taking care of my after-care. And also did all my preop blood tests.

Ambelina
on 4/6/13 2:54 pm - Salem, OR

Hey there,

I am also with Kaiser.  They are still not doing VSG's yet.  Kaiser will not cover the surgical cost of any weight loss surgery not done at their facility.  But like one of the other posters said, they will help you with the after-care.  I am down in Salem and can just see my PCP here at the Skyline clinic when I need anything since my lap-band (self-pay for lapband 3 yrs ago as Kaiser was not doing them).  If I need any other type of care (p/t for exercise or nutritionist), I just call Mary Lou & she gets the referral out for me.  Anyone doing WLS through Kaiser needs to go through the steps starting with the webinar you mentioned.  Even as a self-pay at Salem Hospital, they had steps as well.  They just want to make sure the patient is ready for this major step and a good candidate.  All the programs require some type of education (the webinar for Kaiser), meetings with nutritionists, physical therapists, the psych consults, and the surgeon.  Standard process takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

Good luck in your journey!  It's an amazing ride once you get started...

Highest 298; Pre-op: 279; PreOp BMI 41.  CW: 188 & Current BMI: 30!!!!! Thank you Lord for Dr Nair!!!
1st Goal 248;  2nd Goal 230 met!!!! 7/2010;  3rd Goal 215 - met 9/18/10!!!; 4th Goal 200 - 12/20/2010...  Surgeons goal met - I'd like to lose a litte more.  

kayOliver
on 4/7/13 3:05 am - Portland, OR

UPDATE...I am a few classes away from being done with my webinar for "MASTERING WEIGHT MANAGEMENT" I just received a letter from Kaiser saying that I am approved for the Bariatric Program and will soon be receiving a appointment invite in the mail. So excited. I think from this point on it will go by very very quickly as long as I schedule my labs, psych, dietician appts in the same week. Wish me luck and feel free to give me any advice or reminders from your own experiences. (=

pdxchica
on 12/8/13 1:22 pm - Portland, OR
How is your journey going? Any luck on the sleeve?
kayOliver
on 1/4/14 4:43 pm - Portland, OR
No luck on getting the sleeve through Kaiser because they only offer the bypass in OR/WA. I now have bcbs so i just started my 6month required diet with monthly visits to pcp. Must be thoroughly documented. Hopefully my surgery will be july/August.
hdezmum23
on 1/4/14 11:37 am - vancouver, WA
Hey!! I am new here also and was sure that kaiser was not going to approve me, I just got my welcome packet in the mail and am sending in the question packet. I hope thay everything goes smoothly from here on out and I would love to meet other people around this area going through the same thing, I am in Vancouver but I have to semd my packet to sunnyside. I am so nervous and excited to start my journey. Also does anybody know about how much I will have to pay out of pocket after everything?
kayOliver
on 1/4/14 4:38 pm - Portland, OR
Just call them and ask. I dropped kaiser because they only offer the bypass procedure in OR/WA but I want the sleeve instead. For me I would have had to just pay $50 each day post surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics