New to this

Sandie E.
on 1/25/14 1:57 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Hello....I have been discussing WLS with the dr since about a year and a half ago, but have recently found that things are getting worse so now it is not a discussion, but a decision we are beginning the path to. I have done quite a bit of research and have a few friends that have had WLS so have been picking their brains. I live in NE Oregon and from searching around it's not looking like we have support groups nearby. I have my consultation and seminar Feb 4th. I am interested in learning more and talking to others as well. 

pdxmommyof4
on 1/29/14 7:27 am

I don't know much more than you, but wanted to say hi!  I am working on getting RNY and hope to have surgery by this summer.  I have my seminar on March 7 and will be going through Kaiser in Clackamas.  Where are you having your surgery done?  My husband has worked with OHSU and I kinda wish I was going with them.  They will do the VGS which is what I would have liked and was preparing myself for.  My insurance will only cover RNY at this point.  

Anyways, I can't wait to hear how it goes for you.  Post if you find any good support groups.  I really need to educate myself a little more. 8)

Sandie E.
on 1/30/14 1:41 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I am hoping to have mine this summer as well! I am having mine at St Luke's in Boise. I am going to my seminar and consult Tues and am planning on learning a lot! OHSU is wonderful I hear. I had to take my oldest son to Doernbecher and it was a pretty good experience. I am not sure what the DS falls under, but it looks like I will end up with the RNY or DS, but if insurance doesn't cover DS, then I am doing RNY because I need more than just restrictive. Over eating or the amount is not really the problem. I was blessed with wonderful genes that won't allow me to lose weight easily along with all the health problems lol. We will have to keep in contact and share our journeys!

Linda_S
on 2/6/14 5:46 am - Eugene, OR

Good luck to both of you.  If I were to have it to do all over again, I would fight as hard as possible to have a VSG.  I've been fairly successful with my RNY, but have ended up with severe Reactive Hypoglycemia.  I can't eat carbs, except for salad and some green veggies (broccoli, asparagus, etc).  Even some squashes, carrots, etc., really send my blood sugar into a dive.  Whatever you do, try to preserve as much as your normal anatomy as you can.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/14 11:14 am - Albany, OR

I'm on the opposite corner of OR, but I had RNY in 2007 and have gotten to my goal weight and maintained it for about 6 years now.  If you're just looking for anyone to talk to, hit me up! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics