Help! Hair Loss Q

dsnyfrk75
on 6/22/08 7:20 am
I eat the protein, I take the vitamins, and here I am at 4 months out and I'm still LOSING MY HAIR BY THE HANDFULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I bought Nioxcin about a month ago and that does not seem to help - also about a month ago started taking the Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins from GNC.  I seriously think I am going to go bald!!!!!!  Has anyone else experienced this?????????  I'm desperate to try something.  Should I try Rogain?  Would that work?  I don't know what else to do.  My hair is noticeably thin at this point - mostly just to me and my hairdresser, but I fear going bald.  I can't keep losing handfuls everyday.  HELP!!!!

Mary
bubble273
on 6/22/08 8:18 am - Levittown, PA

Really, you're doing all you can.  Some people take Biotin.  I do use Nioxin and it has worked for me.  I still lose hair and I'm 8 months out.  It seemed to stop for a while and then started again.  I had a lot of other things going on and I was very stressed.  So I'm sure that contributed to it.  But you can only do so much...your body is going to do what it's going to do.  And you're right in the prime time of when people do start losing and losing a lot.  Just know that it doesn't last forever and that you shouldn't go bald.  The majority of people do not.

One thing you can do is get your hair cut.  I know some people are iffy about it, but I've gone shorter and shorter the more weight I have lost.  My hair was never really that long, always just grew to maybe shoulder length, but I like it short now.  I guess because I have a face that I can wear a short hair cut.  But really it does help keep it healthy and you will notice a difference with not that much falling out.  I would really go and get some or a lot cut off, whatever you feel comfortable with and I'm sure you'll notice a difference in the healthiness of it.

Good luck.

Karen

jdruski
on 6/22/08 8:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi, It will stop.  Some people this happens to and some it doesn't.  When I had my gastric bypass I didn't lose any and with my first run of plastics, I started to notice more hair coming out and I am 5 months out.  Just hang in there, I don't think you are going to go bald. Did your hairdresser recommend blow drying your hair with the palm of your hand and rubbing in a circular motion?  As a former hairdresser and someone who has thin hair to begin with this trick has always worked for me. I know it is upsetting but try to calm down about it, it will stop.  Keep doing what you are doing, maybe increase your biotin to your daily diet. Good luck to you. Jeanne
Shannon O.
on 6/22/08 12:10 pm - Reading, PA
that nioxcin did nothing for me and that hair vitamin stuff only made hair grow in the wrong places...

My hair finally stopped falling out around 7.5 months... and I am back to normal hairloss now... and the new hair growing in is a different texture... oh joy... so I am trying to let it grow out and see what to do with it then...

Pam Hart
on 6/22/08 1:25 pm - Easton, PA
I lost hadfuls from 3 1/2 mos to 7 mos.  I actually had a little "bald" spot that others could only see when I pulled my hair back - and in all honesty - most people couldn't see it unless I pointed to it.  I tried everything you mentioned - and it didn't work for me either.  I did end up cutting my hair much shorter, and that seemed to help - but I think it was coincidental as far as the timing was concerned.  I can tell you that NOT pulling my hair back helped (which was challenging at work because I can't stand it all over the place when leaning over a patient, not to mention the health risks for both me AND the patient).  Also, don't blow dry, curling iron, flat iron etc as much as possible.  It's most noticeable to you - promise - but it's bothersome.  Also, I tried not to wash my hair everyday.  I would get it wet every day - but wa**** only every other day or sometimes every 2 days.  The other days I would just do a light condition rinse. It gets better. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
joldaker
on 6/22/08 9:54 pm - West Bradford, PA
This is your bodies way of dealing with a severe trauma to your body. If it bothers you that much just cut it short and have the wig store on speed dial. It will get better, and it will grow back.  My hair was not long before surgery but I did cut it really short after because I was tired of seeing all that in the drain. It has stopped for me and I am just 7 months out today.  Just remember, wigs can be fun too. Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
dit657
on 6/23/08 12:57 am - Boothwyn, PA
Appears we all go thru it - I'm the same way right now and 4 months out. Started slow but seems worse lately, and I'm good about my proteins and vitamins. I just try not to blow dry it too hard now and got a new hairdo - but like everybody else people only notice it on me if I point it out. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
dsnyfrk75
on 6/23/08 2:20 am
I guess I'll just keep praying that it soon stops!!  Ugh!!!! Thanks to all!!!

Mary
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 11:13 am - gloucester county, NJ
I am 3 months post op and losing handfuls.. its actually gross.  I feel like crying sometimes...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1896 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2575 views