Am I doing this wrong????

lauraanne715
on 6/22/08 9:06 am - Pottstown, PA
Hey Guys--So I am now three weeks out from surgery and started pureed foods yesterday.  But here is the thing...I never feel hungry but when I eat I don't feel full.  Sometimes I get burpy...I have been reall good about measuring my food out but still I am afraid I am going to mess up my pouch.  Is this normal??? Also I did not lose any weight from last week to this week--is this normal??  I do not want to do this wrong and mess up...any help would be appreciated!  Much thanx!! Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Nicole0216
on 6/22/08 9:31 am - Lancaster, PA
Laura that is exactly how you are suposed to feel. That is why it is important to measure your food and eat only what you are allowed because your nerves have not healed enough to send messages from your pouch. Well that is at least what I was told.  the 3 week stall is also very common we all had it, your body is adjusting it has been through alot. Reax it will start up again. YOu are fine.
lauraanne715
on 6/22/08 9:40 am - Pottstown, PA
Thanks for the reassurance...I just feel like I might be doing it all wrong.  Thank you for letting me know It is normal! Thanx!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost

ronni5468
on 6/22/08 10:02 am - West Middlesex , PA

Hey Lauraanne, I am 8 weeks out and I never get hungery and I never know when I'm full. I also get the burpys. that is I think our pouch saying I'm full stop eating! I also think that I was about 2-3 weeks when I had my stall. It is scary, but It is normal. I bet you are doing just fine. keep up the good work.

lauraanne715
on 6/22/08 10:09 am - Pottstown, PA
Ronnie-- Thank you for the encouragement.  I just want to stay on track and continue to do things right and make this journey as successful as possible.  The stall kind of threw me too..I guess that is why I thought I was doing things wrong..... But thank you for the encouragement and support!!

Laura

Shannon O.
on 6/22/08 12:06 pm - Reading, PA
I used baby spoons and one of my daughters little bowls to eat out of... still do a lot of days... but I would put 3 to 6 spoonfulls (using the baby spoon) and eat that... and it helped a lot... it helped me to work up to hitting a quarter of a cup etc...

relax you are doing great... but also had feelings of please don't let me mess this up etc... hang in there!

Pam Hart
on 6/22/08 1:32 pm - Easton, PA
Yup - you're normal.  I had the same post you just wrote newly out!  My question was if I was never hungry, how did I know when I was full?  And you are at prime time for stalls.  At about week 3-6 your body finally realizes that you are not taking in nearly as much as you used to.  Therefore, it thinks it is starving, and holds onto everything.  This happens a lot to some, not so often for others, and lasts a week or two for some and literally 6 weeks for others.  It sucks.  The best thing you can do is: A)  Measure and time your food.  However - if you feel uncomfortable or "full" before that serving is up, stop.  No need to force yourself B)  Get rid of the damn scale if it begins to upset you.  You and your new lifestyle will win eventually - but the scale can make you crazy in the battle. C)  Trust yourself, Dr. P, and your barix bible.  Reread that bible often so you aren't missing any key steps D)  For stalls, although harder to do early out, switch up your foods.  If you normally eat let's say chicken, try another protein source like beef or seafood or whatever you can tolerate (meats are hard for some early out)  If you normally do cheeses, switch to something else.  You can get into food habits and your body quickly recalculates what it expects to get and how to use what it can and hold onto the rest.  If you change it up every few days or every few weeks, you keep your body guessing E)  Make sure you get that fluid in you F)  Make sure you are moving and grooving!  Changing up the exercise in accordance to what Dr. P says you can do is key as well.  Even little variatiations like changing the route you walk can keep the body guessing. You are doing everything right. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 6/22/08 2:42 pm
Pam nailed it.  Post your daily menu and if you are eating something you shouldn't, you'll get feed back from the choir. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

joldaker
on 6/22/08 9:56 pm - West Bradford, PA
Laura you are not going to mess up your pouch. Just measure and count everything and you will do fine. I didnt feel full at all for awhile. I think it was about 2 months out that I would just "know" when I was done and I stopped eating. I am now 7 months out and I know when I should eat and I know when I am done but I still dont feel hunger or fullness, and I LOVE IT.  Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
jastypes
on 6/23/08 3:48 am - Croydon, PA
I was the exact same way:  never hungry; never full.  I'm still that way, a year out.  You're doing it right if you're measuring.  That's what I had to do to make sure I 1) got in enough protein; and 2) did not overeat.  

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1805 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1902 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2585 views