confidence changing for the worst after WLS?

pitablond
on 6/23/08 2:32 am - Harrisburg, PA
I have always been a big girl but I have always had a really high amount of self confidence.  What Im worried about is if I have WLS (leaning more towards RNY) that the image of myself will be worse because of the loose skin.  Did that happen to anyone? 
dit657
on 6/23/08 3:00 am - Boothwyn, PA
I think the amount of loose skin is going to depend on how much you have to lose, how much you exercise and tone while losing, how old you are and how long you've been overweight. I'm 51 - been overweight 30+ years so my skin is pretty stretched - some is coming back but not all (I've lost 118 so far). I do have batwings and I know my thighs are ugly. So far my belly isn't that awful. Boobs? Oh man, they're the worst, but they were never perky anyway! Talk to your surgeon about it - see what he/she says. Its different for everyone. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
ronni5468
on 6/23/08 3:10 am - West Middlesex , PA
I had the same concern, but my Dr. said that the skin can be taken care of your health is what is most important! I am only 8 weeks out and 73# down the skin is loose,but dosn't bother me so much. you just need to excersise and hopfully some will tighten up alittle. I am very happy that I had the surgery. Good luck!

Pam Hart
on 6/23/08 3:42 am - Easton, PA
I go through ups and downs with this.  Right now, because of my age (27) and my work out routine, the lose skin is minimal.  I still have it, though.  Most of the time when I am dressed, nobody can tell.   At my heavy weight, the biggest thing that "stuck out" was my lower abdomen, between my hips.  This  is what I affectionately referred to as "my pouch"  Now my pouch has shrunk pretty well.  The only thing is that above my belly button, the TOP half of my stomach sticks out a little. I notice it sooooo much more than anybody else.  In fact when looking at pictures, some girls at work said "wow, you look fantastic" and I pointed to my "spare tire" and said - yea, but in this picture, this is all I see.  They honestly didn't know what I was talking about. I am very lucky to have a very supportive husband.  I definately also have hanging skin on my inner thighs (which I knew was inevitable - I had cellulite there before surgery), and on my upper arms (also inevetible, I had the chicken wing before surgery)  I feel a little self conscious naked...but my husband makes (or tries to make me I should say) feel sexy and happy with my new body. I am forcing myself to look in the mirror with just a bra and panties on lately.  It's making me acknowledge my body, and I am trying desperately to like what I see.  It's a slow road. Most of the time, being dressed, I feel good about myself.  And the most important thing, is I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way I feel.  I feel energized, happy, healthy, and in control.  And all of that puts my confidence up where it may be a little low from the changing body. Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jdruski
on 6/23/08 3:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi, You have the best thing going for you as you are young.  Continue to have your confidence as you are the same person, just in a smaller body.  Exercise and follow the surgeon's guidelines as closely as you can.  When you reach the weight that you want to be at you will see if any "reconstruction" is required. It does my heart good to hear of someone who likes themselves and has confidence even in larger packaging.   Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress. Jeanne
pitablond
on 6/23/08 3:51 am - Harrisburg, PA

Thanks Ladies!  I know that ultimately, the health and my future with my kids are THE most important...I just don't want to lose the self confidence that I have always had!  I am 28 and LOVE the gym...so maybe I will be okay!

Nicole0216
on 6/23/08 7:03 am - Lancaster, PA
I think everything about this surgery shakes your confidence but is is a useful process. But in the end if you have good self confidence you have it, period. This surgery will not take that away from you even if you have lose skin. I have a fair amount and when i am sans clothing sometimes i get a little worried. But i know it can be fixed and will get it fixed eventually.  You should probably fair better then me as i have been so obese for so long. It wont be worse, the image will just change
Laureen S.
on 6/24/08 12:15 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Like others have said, confidence, whether you had it before or not, will waiver during this process, however, my belief is, that the ability to do and enjoy more of life, will give you a confidence you probably did not possess before surgery, at least that is how it appears to be shaping up for me, in spite of my batwing arms and loose skin and though confidence is not all about vanity, my new boyfriend tells me all the time how incredible I look. Take care, Laureen  

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1896 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2575 views