Okay, that was not fun AT ALL!

jastypes
on 5/4/11 1:50 am - Croydon, PA
I actually had a hypoclycemic reaction because I ate too much all at once.  (1/2 bagel w/veggie cream cheese, HB egg and orange.)  I'm eating my lunch early because my hands are shaking so badly and my blood sugar is at 50!  Still abstinent, but shaky.  Normally, when my sugar goes this low, I want to eat everything in sight, but I know I'll be okay in about 15 minutes, so I just ate 1/2 a sandwich and I'll wait it out.  Thanks for listening.  Lesson definitely learned today!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jackie j
on 5/4/11 7:26 am - Glenmoore, PA
Jill, when you go low your best bet is to have 2-3oz of milk or even rub a splenda into the inside of your cheek and you will rise immediately, a dannon lite will hit in about a 1/2 hour but it will take up to an hour for 1/2 sandwich to get in your system; it is a slow-burning carb.    When you eat too much at one time you fly too high then crash too low.   Small and consistent keeps the sugars even and the cravings at bay.    Hope you feel better.  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

jastypes
on 5/4/11 10:35 pm - Croydon, PA
I didn't know that about the splenda.  Why does that work?  I thought it was a sugar substitute!  I'm going back to eating 6 small meals a day which kept the hypoglycemia away.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jackie j
on 5/5/11 3:21 am - Glenmoore, PA
Splenda is a sugar derivative (from sucralose) vs. a chemical like aspartame or saccharin used in Equal and Sweet n Low.    We can digest it ok as it is natural and only a small fraction of the real stuff but it will raise the blood sugar just a bit, which is what you want when you are shaky.  Enough to get rid of the shakes, not enough to cause a spike THEN a worse dip.   Caution, too much splenda and you might as well just use a sugar packet (I know some peeps putting 6 packets in their coffees! and wondering why they get carb cravings??  oh, hello???  you just ate a sugar cube!)    The 6 small meals is a great plan to keep things even Jill. 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Nicole0216
on 5/4/11 10:36 am - Lancaster, PA
they do suck i hate it when that happens. Jackie is right good advice to follow
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1794 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1889 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2569 views