How do I get back on track?

bosscoupe65
on 5/18/11 4:17 am - N Huntingdon, PA
I had surgery on Feb 15 2006, at that time I was 262 pounds. This surgery was going to give me my life back.  To be able to walk, talk and breathe at the same time.   I did great  in the begining and got my weight to 145.  In 2009, I had knee replacement and that is when I lost my way.  I put on 10 pounds in 5 months.  I am now up to 180.  I need to get back on track and dont know where to start. 
I use to be on board all the time in the begining and I know I have to get back in gear.  Hopefully I will find a support group in the Pittsburgh area.  My surgery was with Dr Collela at AGH.  He is no longer there and if anyone knows where he is at please let me know.  
thanks
bvohl
on 5/18/11 4:49 am
Hello!

I also need to get back on track! I think the best way to do this is to log and measure all of your food, make sure you are getting your protein goal in everyday, take all your meds, drink at least 64 oz of water and EXERCISE! That is where I am lacking!! I am almost two years out and have gained 10 lbs in the last 6-8 months. NOT HAPPY!!

Go back to basics and get support however you can! Either on this board or through a local support group.

You can do this and so can I!!!!

Take care, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Sara E.
on 5/18/11 4:55 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I agree with Beth, log your food and measure it all.  Do not bite it, until you write it.  Look over the log and see what the good days and the bad days look like.  Drink, drink, drink and exercise!
You can do it!

Sara

lynnc99
on 5/18/11 6:05 am
I agree with what has been said so far.

Support is a MUST. Even if you cannot find a western PA group to attend (but I bet there is one somewhere!) - use online support for accountability. We have a 90 day exercise thread going on here right now - and you are WELCOME to jump in!

Exercise is a MUST. Once we get past the point of malabsorption, our metabolism needs all the help we can give it. Plan and map out your exercise - and keep those the same way you would keep an appointment with your doctor, or a commitment for your job.

Log your eating, but go a step further. Clean your cupboards. Get rid of the crap. Toss it OUT, down the disposal, donate to a food bank....whatever! But you KNOW exactly what "goes" and what "stays." Bare bones essentials to take you back to your post op eating plan....protein first, no refined carbs or sugar, lots of water and noncaffeinated liquids. See? you know exactly what to do!

I do hope we will see you here regularly!
jastypes
on 5/18/11 7:00 am - Croydon, PA
I think you just took the first step by posting here.  First, please know that this is do-able.  I had regained about 45 pounds and have been back on track now for a little over two months.  I decided to go to OA because it was clear to me that I am powerless over food.  I needed support, and I have had great success with 12-step programs in the past.

I started with making a Plan of Eating.  I kept it simple:  No sugar, no snack foods, no fast foods.  I do this one day at a time. 

Keep posting and let people help you as you return to sane eating.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

gmom62
on 5/18/11 12:46 pm - Clifton Heights, PA
Hi,

I just came back from the Barix support group mtg here in Philly.  It was mentioned in the meeting that wls patients who seek regular support are 80% likely to succeed in their journey.

You have tons of support right here.  But seek it in your area too.

Keep coming back to post just a little something on how your doing.

You can do it.

Cyd

Laureen S.
on 5/18/11 11:06 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lots of good stuff said

Just know you are not alone, it happens to many along the way, the important thing is you recognized the issue and are not waiting until you get back to 262 pounds.  I, myself, weighed 254 lbs in March of 2007, lowest weight was 156 and am now at 181, working daily to reclaim the proper way to work this tool.  The tool is not broken, but we need to eat mindfully, being present with each bite we take and making choices according to what we know to be in our best interest, finding some form of physical activity that we can do at least 4 to 5 times per week.  To lose weight, the nutritionist basically stated that we need to be at about 1200 calories per day, protein, good carbs (whole grain, vegetables, fruit) and fats.  Others have successfully reclaimed their weightloss and we can too.

Another issue brought up at my support group was the fact that 80% of those who participate in a support system, maintain their numbers.  So kudos for coming forward and admitting you got lost along the way, now stay connected, either find a local support group or make this work for you as a means of support, of which there is plenty to be had here.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bosscoupe65
on 5/19/11 11:41 pm - N Huntingdon, PA
Thanks to everyone for your words on encouragement.   I am planning on going back to the gym as soon as my feet heal from surgery.   Its funny how working out and pain  makes me feel better both physically and mentally.  And I am definetly starting a food diary.   I really missed my wls family.   We are all striving for the same goal.  
Again Thank You all from the bottom of my heart.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2576 views