NSVs....and it makes me wonder....

lynnc99
on 6/23/11 8:03 am
Today I had to get groceries and find a birthday gift for my mom....

I ended up eating at Chili's, and ordered Margarita chicken. (Skip the rice and it is enough chicken for 2 good sized meals, and black beans). Service was good and they weren't busy. But the mgr. came by as I was scooping food into my to go box and asked, "Is everything all right???? Was it delivered promptly for you??? Are you in a rush??? Can I put your drink in a carry out cup??? Are you SURE things are all right???"

He kind of doted on me. I assured him that everything was fine, but then I wondered....how would he have reacted if I had been 258 lbs? Would I have gotten the to go cup for my iced tea, do you think?

Then off to Coldwater Creek, trying to find the birthday gift (on sale). Of coruse I got into trying on some things for myself. One jacket looked pretty good (yeah, I bought it) - the salesperson commented, "That is really nice on you. It doesn't look at all good on me!" I said, "Oh you're kidding?" and she reolied, "Well you are really thin...."!!!!!! What?????  (See, I HAD to buy the jacket!)

The CC story was just purely great, it made me feel so good.
But the Chili's story almost makes me a little sad, because I remember being so invisible before.
dit657
on 6/23/11 9:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Just a thought - maybe you're misreading the actions of the Chili's manager. Did you put a lot of food into the take-out box? You obviously can't eat the way you did before, so it sounds like he was just making sure your food was okay - that you weren't disappointed in your meal. Maybe he thought you taking it home for the 'dog' since you didn't eat it?

I've had similar reactions from restaurant managers and wait staff when I'm only eating half of what everyone else is eating (I'm not thin so I'm sure they're thinking 'what's her problem'?) but it is usually that they're concerned over the quallity of the food - if it was hot enough - etc.

These days restaurants are hurting like all other businesses, so they do seem to be going out of their way to make sure customers are satisfied. Enjoy the attention - and the new jacket!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
deebatt
on 6/26/11 12:34 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
i've definitely noticed a difference in "customer service" and how people treat me.  maybe its originating from me and a new kind of confidence/self image.. or maybe its how some people relate to a persons size..maybe its a combination of both, i dont know. 

we were just talking not long ago about treatment in restaurants... at my old heavy self it was always "do you want something else...appetizers?  are you sure you dont want desert? , etc"  it was always like they expected me to eat them out of house and home. at least thats how i percieved it.   NOW it makes me grin and chuckle when they are so concerned if i take out a doggie bag/box... no more pestering me if i want desert,  its more geared to "was everything OK, are you sure it was OK?.   that type of thing.   Yes i notice a difference, but i bask in it!!!! 

I was also noticing a difference elsewhere.... especially in flying.  More often than not I am offered assistance with carry on bags getting in/out of the overhead bins..without even asking for help or appearing to struggle.  Before i just got eye rolls and sighs from people, as if i were holding them up, even if i was not.   OH and its great to have extra slack on the seatbelt and not need an extender... and to be able to actually bend forward and reach under the seat in front of me

I could go on for hours, but i will spare you all lol.  Although I am tickled pink to see a different reaction from a lot of people, it still saddens me to think that people treat you based on a bias of weight.......that is sad.

Be proud of what you have achieved and your new you... you deserve it... embrace it.
~ Denise 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2577 views