Opinions on DS doctors

Kelly Puma
on 7/25/11 1:54 am - Royersford, PA
Good morning all,
I've been doing my research for almost 2 years now, deciding which surgery is right for me. Realisticly I think the DS is the right pick for me. I've been to many seminars, many support meetings, etc. So I met with Dr. Merymor (Barix) on Friday just because I have thought about RNY. He is a great doctor; from the 3 hours that I was with him, very sincere, very down to earth. To make a long story short I have a variety of issues going on health wise. My current weight is 230-235, 5'4. So I am right on the line for being 100#'s overweight. But since Dr. Merymor doesn't perform the DS surgery, I'd need to peek around some more. A co-worker of mine has his DS 2 years ago @ Abington w/ Bonanni. He raves about him. So 2 years ago I did go to a seminar, and like I said I've been making my rounds just to get a feel of the facility, and different life experiences. Well the more that I have read into Dr. Bonanni it seems he doesn't take anyone unless there are 150#'s or more overweight. Has anyone heard or experiened this? I wanted to make a appt but if that's the case I may have to keep doing research on another Dr within a decent range who perform's the DS surgery.
litebrite
on 7/25/11 8:44 am - Telford, PA
I am having DS in August.  I see Dr. Gintas Antanavicius (or as he is called Dr. G.)  He is in the office with Dr. Bonanni.  I am was not over 150 over when I first went and was accepted. Here is a article about Dr. G. http://www.amh.org/forthemedia/2010/surgeon-named-designee-by-bariatric-surg-coe/

I have liked all the care so far I have received.  I did read on the other board that some felt the aftercare was lacking but I am not sure in what regard.  I have also gone to some of the support groups and it was jammed packed.  I liked them very much. 

Good luck in your choice

Kelly Puma
on 7/26/11 10:48 am - Royersford, PA
Thanks so much - I just started doing my reaserch on Dr. G - sounds like he's a great doctor. I will be calling tomorrow to schedule a appt. with Abington.
enasangels
on 7/26/11 10:36 am - PA
I had my surgery with Dr Bonanni.  I really like him.  Originally I was to have a DS.  (during my stress test they found a problem, and instead of having my WLS, I had a double bypass open heart surgery.  A year later I did have my surgery, but we decided on an RNY which I am very happy with.  I was not 150lbs over.  I have lost a little over 100lbs.  Hope this helps.
Good Luck, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1805 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1902 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2585 views