Are afraid of the Arterial Blood Gas?

merrymorris
on 1/31/12 4:47 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
The other day I was at Abington Baratric and the receptionist was on the phone with someone who was clearly trying to find out if there was ANYTHING that could be done besides the Arterial blood gas, Which apparently is a requirement for all pre bariatric patients at Abington, and which I have been putting off til the last possible moment..The recptionist got off of the phone and went into to detail about how she had been stuck like 10 times before they got it right. Meanwhile, I'm ready to puke or passout or both because of my stupid Vegal response and the pending doom of having to get the ABG myself. Anyway, I felt really badly for the person on the phone and truly identified with his or her fear. I left feeling even more terrified. Anyway,  I finally had the blodd gas on Friday and here is how a truly needle phobic with a vagel response got through it with no vomit or passing out. FIRST, I took a xanax. This calmed me down a bit but not enough SO, I had my husband come with me. He held my hand and told me stories to keep my mind off of things. Then I asked them to put their best man(or woman) on the job. None of this new tech business for me. I needed someone to get in and get out without poking around too much. The lady who did it was fantastic. She opened the window for me before I even walked in and was very compassionate. She got in and out with one poke and though it pinched it wasn't as horrible as I had read. Am I a weenie? YES! and I don't care who knows it. I used to be tough and all of that but now I know enough to ask for help when I need it. Moral of the story. Blodd gas isn't so bad when you have the right tools and a good tech.
Patricia R.
on 1/31/12 9:24 pm - Perry, MI
 I had my surgery at Barix, and they did not require arterial blood gas tests.  I have had it done, and it took about ten sticks before the tech got it.  It was sheer torture.

So glad yours only took one stick.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

merrymorris
on 1/31/12 11:06 pm - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Oh no, Trish! That is so horrible. That is so sad. I would never had made it through.
Jackie Fisher
on 2/1/12 10:33 am - PA
Oh you are not a weenie at all!!!

I wanted to run for the hills after those stupid blood gasses!!
I think I came home that night (PATs) and told my husband I did not want to have surgery because I hated those things!! LOL!

Next to blood gasses, I hate the blood thinner shots.. ouchie! They go in your side right before surgery.. Big stick and big burn!! Start preparing yourself for that!
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

merrymorris
on 2/3/12 1:39 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Oh jeez, ok. I will prepare myself. The worst for me yet was still the sleep study and it wasn't painful per se just really really annoying, uncomfortable and long.
apw0
on 2/6/12 1:30 am - Doylestown, PA
I had mine done at Abington too. I was the one that got the 'new tech'. It took all that I had not to punch her right in her face! She stuck me 4 times! After that, I told her "you're done". She looked at me like I was a blue bunny rabbit, and proceeded to tell me that it was a requirement, and blah blah blah blah. After the second sentence, I just stopped listening. I had to have some other tests done so I went back downstairs. Then I decided that I may as well get it done, so I put on my big girl panties and marched my happy hips back upstairs to the lab. BUT.....I made it extremely clear that I absolutely did not want the tech that I had earlier. Thankfully, the different tech was able to get it with one stick. It was horrible, so I definitely feel for you.
I'm glad that overall, it was a relatively simple draw for you.

merrymorris
on 2/6/12 1:42 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
See, that is what I am talking about. I feel for new people...I really do. I understand they have to practice and start somewhere but...not me. I just cannot do it. I will always make a big deal out of my vagal response but it IS a big deal to me. I am glad you asked for a new tech. I was told a long time ago by a nurse that we have the right to ask for someone different if it takes more than one try. Sorry you had to deal with that.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1896 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2575 views