6 Years and Counting!!!

Boogaloo
on 5/15/12 12:44 pm - PA
Geez, I almost forgot to post! 

Here it is almost 11pm and I have thought about this surgiversary throughout the day... I have also thought about this site and the help I received in the early days.  As I have stated before, when I searched this site for answers and inspiration after my surgery, I often wondered where those long-timers were... and I promised I would post throughout the years.  And here I am posting once a year on my surgerversary.  I am sorry about that, but here goes...

I had my surgery 6 years ago today and my story is probably a lot like yours.  That morning I cried, I was so frightened - in about a year, I lost about 120 lbs.  And my life has changed in so many ways.  I kayak, I hike, I bike, I teach Zumba, Spinning, Group Fitness, and Pilates.   I never walk into a room worried that everyone will judge me based on my weight.  People often refer to me as tiny (which is still really weird).  I have taken risks that I would never have taken before.

But, it's still hard.  I struggle with head hunger, I don't always like to exercise, I want sugar ALL THE TIME.  For a while, I got really lazy, not working out, not taking my vitamins, not drinking my water... I get back on the stick, doing the things that made me successful, but it's hard.  I don't say this to discourage or frighten you, but to offer just a little wisdom from my experience.  I have to remind myself that the surgery was a wonderful tool, but still just a tool... If I don't get my head and heart in the right place about food I will not continue to be successful...  If I don't recognize the ongoing struggle and face it honestly on a DAILY basis, I will end up right back where I started six years ago...  And... it would probably serve me well to get on this site more often and continue to learn and continue to be inspired by the bravery and generosity of spirit that is always so prevalent here. 

So that's my story... good luck to all of you on this wonderful journey.
Love and happiness,
Lou

IdaMae D.
on 5/15/12 8:30 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations!!!!

IdaMae

Boogaloo
on 5/15/12 9:40 pm - PA
Thanks and congrats to you too!!!! You have been such a positive presence on this site and everyone is lucky to have you!!!!
Lou
Laureen S.
on 5/15/12 10:25 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lou,

Congrats on your perserverance and I think it is very natural for us to struggle with the things you spoke of from time to time, the most important part is to never get so far from what we know works as to give up, because as I've learned well, the tool works, so long as I work with the tool. . .

Again, congrats!!!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Boogaloo
on 5/16/12 3:24 am - PA
Thanks Laureen!!!! Best of everything to you!
bvohl
on 5/15/12 11:13 pm
 Congrats!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Boogaloo
on 5/16/12 3:25 am - PA
Thanks!!
Dennis Belk
on 5/21/12 8:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
CONGRATULATIONS LOU!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Most Active