OT - Who has a tattoo?

lynnc99
on 5/20/12 6:45 am
I know quite a few of you do....What do you have?

Is it visible?

Did it hurt?

Any regrets?

Would you do it again?

Some of you got these as a celebration of weight loss, as I recall. Any others who got a tattoo to commemorate a special event?
Laureen S.
on 5/20/12 7:24 am, edited 5/19/12 7:26 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Lynn,

I have one, I got it just about the time I was 30 and it is only visible when I wear either something a little low cut or bathing suit. . . I have no regrets, always wanted one, but back in my youth it was illegal in NYC and until a friend had a tattoo party at their house I did not think to go out of my way to get one, always wanted another, but money for something so frivolous was never there and the one I have could use recoloring, as over time the colors fade, after all mine is almost as old as I was when I got it (lol). As for the pain, I tell anyone who has asked, if felt like a razor burn and it really is dependent on where you have it put (mine was done over a very fleshy part of my body), over bony or very muscular places, I understand from those who've had them done, that the pain can be quite uncomfortable, but they get it done anyway, so I guess it's a matter of what and where and how much you are willing to endure. . .

Personally, I think a well placed, tastefully done tat or two is nice body art. . . however, some people seem to think of their bodies as a canvass, and that is not meant as judgment, but I think to do so much artwork when one is young leaves the door open to many regrets later and that is coming from someone who has heard enough people say as much.

Are you writing a piece or thinking of getting some body art. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

lynnc99
on 5/20/12 8:15 am
Illegal!!!????!!! You've got to be kidding! Tell more!

As for my motivation - kind of dual intent here. Yes, I'd like to write a piece. But Mike would like me to get a little tat somewhere inconspicuous. I would want to see it myself so that eliminates various areas of the body. And the specific design would have to be PERFECT. My favorite flower is a tulip, but I haven't seen a tulip yet that strikes me as perfectly drawn. And the most interesting tats I have seen on others have been words....
Laureen S.
on 5/21/12 12:27 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Yes, illegal, I am not exactly sure, but I believe they were outlawed in the 50s or early 60s due to an epedemic of heptatis, so within the city limits (5 boros of NYC), there were no tatoo parlors and if you wanted skin art, you either had it done in someone's house or you went to Long Island or other places to get it done.  I cannot remember what year the ban was lifted, but it was either the late 80s or early 90s. . .

Some tatoo artists are true artists and don't use stencils and do beautiful work, so you should be able to find someone, with some work on your part that can draw up what you want, or perhaps you can and they can do it. . .  like you, I wanted my tatoo where I could see it, but not necessarily anyone else could, they were not as popular back in the time I got mine, so I was afraid of being judged for having one, matter of fact, I hid it from my Mom (yes, at 30****il such time as it came to light. . .  2 years later (lol). . .  I remember my great aunt Mary seeing it when we were getting ready for my cousin's wedding and she said, well ain't that something and one day that rose of your's is going to be shrivelled up and quite wilted (lol). . .  mine is on the upper portion of my left breast and it is about three inches around, as my boyfriend who went with me, said, anything smaller (I had chosen something much smaller) and it would be lost due to my size.  As I said yesterday, I have never regretted getting it. ..  other places where you can see it, would be an outer thigh or your belly. . . 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bethmal
on 5/20/12 11:03 am
RNY on 12/26/17
I have a pink ribbon tattoo on my foot.  It is visible except in the winter - lol.  It did hurt but nothing unbearable.  I got it for my 40th bday.  My aunt suffered from breast cancer (she is a survivor) so my aunts and I got pink ribbon tattoos to celebrate her.  I would do it over again in a heartbeat!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

IdaMae D.
on 5/20/12 8:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Lynn;

I have two.  No regrets.  One is visible when I wear dresses, skirts, etc.  It is on my ankle, that one was painful, no muscle there to absorbe, although by the end didn't feel a thing.

The other one is on my back left shoulder.  that is visible if I wear a see through shirt, or a tank top when riding.   That one didn't hurt as bad. 

I've wanted a tat since I was a teen.  I decided at that time not to get one.  In my 30's still wanted a tat, so figured it was time. 

Yes, absolutely would do it again, if I found the right one. 

Ida

IdaMae

jackie M.
on 5/20/12 10:01 pm - Sunbury, PA
RNY on 10/10/12
 I have one on my left arm.    I had that one for years.

I am awaiting until I lose my extra weight to get the tattoos of my dream...  A Grinch tattoo on my left shoulder blade and one on my right leg....  

HW 284.5, SW 247, GW 140       

Patti M.
on 5/21/12 12:52 am
ME, ME, ME!!  

I have 3 now.....and am dying for more! 

My first one was a Phantom of the Opera tribute, that's on my right ankle.  Took 20 minutes and not too much pain.

My second one is a large (8x10 size) portrait of my Mom with "Until we meet again" underneath it on my left calf.  (My mom passed away when I was in my 20's.)  That one took 2 hours and wasn't too bad pain wise.

My third and most painful is a swirly butterfly on the top of my foot.  I love it, but BOY did it hurt!  I have actually felt kind of like a butterfly since my surgery.  I still don't have great self esteem etc, but I do feel better (most days) about myself than I did before my surgery.  So I guess you could call it a celebration of my weight loss in a sense.  =)

My next one will be a tiger face in the shape of a butterfly with some flowers.  Not happenening yet, but hopefully sometime towards the end of this year.  All of mine are and will be visible (even though I have to cover them while I'm at work) because my theory is if I'm going to go through the pain that comes with it (and like I said, the foot was the worst!) I want to be able to see it and enjoy it!  I get so many compliments on the one of my mom in the summer.....makes me feel good because I love that one the most I think.   
Patti      
merrymorris
on 5/22/12 8:04 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I have a strawberry on my upper butt and three stars to represent my sisters and me on my left foot. Both hurt a little...foot way more.  They are places that I can completely cover or I can show my foot.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1801 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1897 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2577 views