Now isn't this a kick in the ass!

Andy Kovatch
on 10/25/12 9:02 am - York, PA

Six and a half years out and I have recently started experiencing some things that I haven't gone through in about six years.  The past month or so, almost every single meal I eat seems to be getting "stuck".  I'll make two eggs, two pieces of turkey bacon and toast for breakfast and wind up only taking a few bites before I can't even look at the food in fear of vomiting.  That's how bad it gets.  Same thing with my normal lunch of a sandwich, cheese sticks and a fruit.  The bread just doesn't want to go down.  Dinner may be the worst.  It doesn't seem to matter if it's grilled chicken, pasta or a slice of pizza.  I'm starting to get pissed!

The food sticking isn't the only bi-product of my gastric bypass surgery that has seemed to resurface after a lengthy hiatus.  It now seems that ANY desert or snack with any kind of sugar content kicks my ass.  I start breaking out in cold sweats, feel nausius and dizzy and simply feel like crap.  It's like 2006 all over again for me. 

It has now gotten to a point where I don't even look forward to meal time anymore.  I knew all day that I'd be making pasta for dinner tonight and I knew what would happen.  Five bites later and I started packing my tupperware container with the rest for lunch tomorrow.  HELP!!!  I'm going crazy.

"No matter how hard life may get, no matter how many curveballs you are thrown, keep in mind, if you want to succeed - QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION"!!!

Laureen S.
on 10/25/12 8:33 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Well Andy, good to see you here. . .  When is the last time you saw Dr. Marymor?  Perhaps there is something going on that needs addressing  . . .  however, what I've learned, at just past the 5 year mark, is that the tool is in charge, there are days where I feel like a bottomless pit and then there are the days, where 5 bites and I'm full and the sugar thing. . . well, I've also learned that you just never know what your reaction is going to be, so best to limit intake of it. . .  ours is supposed to be a 2 gram limit, others 5 or 10. . .  I try to be sure not to have more than 10 in anything I eat, not easy and those times that I do have more, I wind up with a sugar crash (hypoglycemic type situation), so I try to be sure to have some kind of protein within a short time of what I'm having.  Pasta is something I've always had issues with, still do, sometimes I can eat a half cup, other times like you describe, same with bread and white bread in particular is tough, so I avoid it as much as I can. . .  tool rules. . .  are you still eating like we are supposed to?  3 small meals/3 healthy snacks (protein, fruit, veggies?)  Perhaps you simply need to eat like a newbie for a bit, but if it continues, I'd call Barix and make an appointment with Dr. Marymor, if your insurance doesn't cover it (or you don't have any), I think they only charge $35 or $40 for a follow-up visit and once a Barix patient, you are their patient for life, no matter whether or not your surgeon is still there, however, you are lucky, Dr. Marymor is still affiliated with them

Be well and hope to see more of you.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

retta0426
on 10/26/12 3:42 am - Middletown, PA

I'll be seven yrs out this December and I'm experiencing some weird things going on as well. I just saw Dr. Marymor at the Barix Clinic last Friday. He started me out on a 10 day clear liquid diet along with the three protein shakes for my meals. I'm now on day seven and still having a hard time. Thankfully I don't vomit, but I feel like I'm going to regardless of what I eat. (the broth for seven days - still makes me feel sick to my stomach). I wish I had a better answer for you, but I do agree go see the doctor again and see if something is going on with the pouch.

Andy Kovatch
on 10/26/12 9:10 pm - York, PA
Thanks for the advice. I have Called Dr. Marymor and left a message. He called me back yesterday while I was taking a nap and he left me a voice mail. I'm going to call again On Monday.

Laureen, it feels good to be back. It's been way too long. I'd love to catch up with some of the veterans and meet some of those that came aboard since the last time I was a regular. I just hope and pray that some of the oldies haven't fallen back into a food trap and are too afraid to cry it for help. That's what this forum was created for in the first place- support.

"No matter how hard life may get, no matter how many curveballs you are thrown, keep in mind, if you want to succeed - QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION"!!!

apple60
on 10/27/12 4:12 am - schwenksville, PA

I'm out 4 years in Nov. and I can't eat any pasta. They told me that I would probably never be able to eat or rice again. When ever I try to eat them I have a problem.

Arlene E.
on 10/27/12 11:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Glad you called Dr. M.  As you know he is always there for us.   I experience reactions to sugar now, but it comes about an hour or so after and it is related to hypoglycemia.   

Take care of yourself.  Good to see you posting.

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/2/12 6:13 am

I've had some foamies and dumping myself after being 6 1/2 years out.  I'm attributing it to my new medication which warns of possible side effects to people with digestion related disorders.  I would think that cutting the length of your intestion would fall into that category.  I've woken up plenty of times in the middle of the night with severe sweating and dizziness.  I understand that some people can become diabetic or have these symptoms after being years out.  Only way to find out is to see the doctor. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1896 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2575 views