First Post

jlynn1025
on 4/17/13 12:20 am

This is my first post.  I'm a Lehigh Valley resident.  I'm considering VSG or DS.  I can't find a local surgeon who will perform DS.  I'd have to travel to Warminster to have that surgery.  I'm considering Dr. Holland for the VSG.  Has anyone had him as a surgeon?  My insurance doesn't require the 6 month pre-op process and neither does he.  Can anyone tell me what his process will be like?  My BMI is 41.6, and the DS sounds very attractive, but I'm not sure its necessary to make the drive for the surgery if VSG will work with a highly regarded local surgeon.  Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

jastypes
on 4/17/13 6:21 am - Croydon, PA

I'm sorry, but I am completely ignorant about both the VSG and DS surgeries!  I went about it by finding a surgeon first, and chose Barix for several reasons, and then listened to that surgeon's recommendation for me, which was to have the RNY.  Sorry I'm not more help.  Hopefully some others will jump in here.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

musicaldonna
on 4/17/13 8:52 am - PA

OH should have a board for VSG and DS.  You might be able to get information from there.  I had an RNY 4 years ago.  Sorry that I can't answer any of your questions.  Just wanted to welcome you to the board.  Please keep us posted about your WLS journey.  Take care.

Donna

Patricia R.
on 4/18/13 4:00 am - Perry, MI

I am not familiar with either surgery either.  I was interested in the Lap Band or RNY, and after meeting with Dr. Marymor at Barix, I went with RNY.  I am very happy with it, and just love Dr. Marymor.  

Good Luck,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

CSerwalt
on 4/19/13 10:30 am - Philadelphia, PA
DS on 11/28/12
Dr greenbaum, in Nj does the DS and he is on the vetted list.

RNY: 08/04/2009 SW: 310 Aug 2009 LW: 199 Jul 2010                       

DS: 11/28/2012 SW 286 Nov 2012 CW: 169 Mar 2014

Laureen S.
on 4/24/13 5:40 am - Maple Shade, NJ

I believe Doctor Marymor at Barix does the VSG now.  There was a former doctor who worked there, Dr. Medvetz, she is now at Lourdes Bariatric in New Jersey.  There are some I know who've had the sleeve and are loving their lives. . .  I know a friend whose daughter had the DS, it's been about 3 years now and she is doing fabulously.  What it ultimately comes down to is knowing your ownself and the part you will play in the changing of your life post-WLS.  All surgery is a tool, it will take you to a healthier place, but ultimately it is all about the way you use your tool that will make the difference in your life. 

I wish you the best as you research further into what you will ultimately choose as your way of life.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1896 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2575 views