Looking for Philadelphia (area) program recommendations

AnnyBananny
on 5/13/13 2:16 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I'm just beginning the road to bariatric surgery. Living in Philadelphia, there are so many programs to pick from. I've attended an informational session at Jeff and am scheduled for sessions at Temple, Hahnemann, Einstein, and Penn - how overwhelming.

Do any of the Philly-area folks have thoughts? Why did you choose the program you went with over another?

Thanks!

jeterway
on 5/13/13 3:13 am
I went with the program at Pennsylvania Hospital which is now part of Penn. That hospital was very convenient for me and all of my other health issues were handled there so it seemed like the logical choice. I have since been dealing with many docs at Penn and find that to be an even better experience. I would recommend finding out as much info as possible before making a decision. My procedure was open which I didn't think much about at the time, but in retrospect, I would rather of had laparoscopic surgery. I am still very active in support groups and really enjoy some of the new friends I have made at Penns support groups.

jastypes
on 5/13/13 5:31 am - Croydon, PA

I LOVE BARIX!!!  Whis is located in Langhorne PA.  They have an excellent surgeon, wonderful care, they are specifically a bariatric treatment center, AND they have phenomenal after-care programs like support groups, nutrition counseling, and they even have a Zumba class there once a week.  I am almost 6 years out, and still take advantage of their support services.  I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Patricia R.
on 5/13/13 12:19 pm - Perry, MI

Barix, right near Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne.  That is all they do.  When you are upstairs post-op, all the patients are bariatric.  The nurses specialize in bariatric post-op care.  They have doctor's who've done hundreds of weight loss surgeries.  They have three support groups a month.  Every time you have an appointment, the nutritionist also comes in and discusses food needs.  

I have gastric bypass with Dr. Marymor six years ago.  He gives patients his cell phone number when they're discharged.  He lurks here, and when he's seen me post about being hospitalized, he calls me to check on me.  How many surgeons do that?  Check his page here on Obesity Help.  There are tons of positive reviews for him.

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NIQAABI
on 5/14/13 3:26 am

I went to Abington, Dr. Bonanni was thee best. Bedside manner was wonderful, and he was very honest. The hospital was clean and the nurses were very friendly. I was well taken care of when I had surgery.

victoria3
on 5/15/13 4:14 am - Douglassville, PA

I second the nomination for the program at Abington!!

lynnc99
on 5/15/13 1:12 am

I also had my surgery at Barix in Langhorne - coming up on 4 years out. You've heard the recommendations from others - I would simply recommend that you add it to your list of places to consider. Excellent pre and post op support, and the surgery experience there was top flight. 

IdaMae D.
on 5/17/13 11:55 am - Philadelphia, PA

I had my surgery @ Jeanes Temple

Hubby had his surgery @ Temple

All our physicians are @ Temple

I needed to have my surgery in a "real" hospital where if something were to happen all the equipment/departments/physicians were right there.  Barix has a good program however they are not a full hospital, if they had been I probably would have chosen that route. 

I work in the insurance end of healthcare and hear good things about all the programs you mentioned.  It is all personal choice and the surgeon you click with. 

I did not click with the surgeon who did my hubby's surgery, so I used a different surgeon same surgical practice.

I have friends that have used Abington and Penn and have nothing but great things to say about the programs.  So like I said it all comes down to who you click with and feel comfortable with.

Good luck in your journey - it is an amazing one!!!!

Welcome to the PA board...

Ida

IdaMae

jess252590
on 6/30/13 5:46 pm - PA
VSG on 11/20/13

I'm having mine done at Penn. For me it was between Temple and Penn. I didn't like the atmosphere of temple, I felt like a number there. I like penn because it doesn't seem as crowded or busy as temple, everyone is so nice. I also decided to do my clearances with Penn and its smaller so I'm in and out within the hour. My fam goes to temple and im usually waiting 3 hours with them.  At my consultation i met with the surgeon (really nice, reassuring), the dietician and the nurse, they gave me a big binder that covers everything from portion sizes to exercise to protein shakes.  I didn't like thier info session, it left me confused and some of the info regarding insurance was outdated. 

*it never occurred to me to search for a barix nearby so you might wanna check them out, specially if you lack a support system because I've heard their support groups are the best.  

exohexoh
on 7/3/13 4:36 am - West Chester, PA
My insurance would only cover penn so that's where I went. I don't believe my surgeon is there anymore, but I've met with a pa for all my post op stuff anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference to me. The only issue I had with them were the nurses on the recovery floor post op (this was almost 3 years ago). They didn't respond to pages promptly, especially at night.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1883 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2564 views