Surgery coverage ($$)?

Cindy F.
on 5/1/12 10:37 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
 As I've mentioned in other posts, I started this process in 2004 (referral). I got approval to go to ns, where they were doing Islanders at the time (2005) for a consult. I'm now going to a consult in NB in June and will hopefully be getting sleeved within the next year. My question is, did you work with health PEI for funding your surgery or did the doctors office take care of that? I don't want to go through with many appointments and surgery than be sent a bill from the province because 'I' didn't get the approval beforehand. I hope that makes sense. I just want to know how active I have to be in the funding process.
132sunshine
on 5/7/12 6:48 am
 Hi,

I has surgery in February 2012 and was also on the waiting list since 2004. However, I was never referred to NS only NB. I started at about 650 on the waiting list and had almost resigned that it was never going to happen. But, got a call from Moncton the end of April 2011 and had an appt. for my surgery consult in July.

After being assessed by Dr. B, I spoke with the nurse and she was going to check and make sure that I would still be covered by the Gov't of PEI for the VSG. The only piece of paper I have ever received from Gov't of PEI was in 2004, saying I was approved to proceed. I assumed that because they called me again to move forward with the process that it all was good. I actually never asked again until my pre-op, and they said all was good. But, I have not gotten any communication at all from PEI and hopefully can safely say that it was all covered. 

You can ask when you go for your consult and the nurse will look into it for you. I was originally approved for the full gastric bypass and from what I understand, the sleeve is about $5000 cheaper. So, the Gov't would probably think that that was a better thing. 

So, as for how active you have to be in the process, I would say you will know after you meet with the Dr. and nurse in June. 

I wish you much success and hopefully we will get a chance to meet. Feel free to pick my brain as much as you want. I may not be the model sleever but I have been through the whole process and might be able to answer any questions you might have.

Treena

Cindy F.
on 5/7/12 8:17 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I remember being approved for the NS consult and THINK I got a letter ages later approving me for surgery but it was so long after my consult that it was completely off my radar by then.

I'll definitely inquire with the nurse.

Is the consult basically to decide what type of surgery to perform or if surgery will even be done? I remember that my NS consult was about 3 hours long and he went over what he recommended to me. I have my heart set on the VSG.

I'm learning lots on these forums. Everyone is so helpful and gracious.
132sunshine
on 5/9/12 4:53 am
 Hi,

I found the consult probably took a total of three hours but I waited over an hour for the Dr. I was in with the nurse for a while, she went over ALL family history and took all vitals and of course weight and BMI.

Than I waited for Dr. B and once in the room with him, he asked some basic questions and previous diet questions etc... than he went over the surgeries that he preforms and what each advantages/disadvantages each might have. Than he told me for my weight and diet history, he would recommend the VSG. I did not know a lot about it but had two months to reseach all of them and chose to go with his recommendation. 

I think I had my full day info session in Sept. and a couple of more appts. in the late fall and Dec. It seemed like I was going to Moncton a lot for a few months. But, that is ok... all is good. 

Are you going to Dr. B? He has someone with him now. I think he is training another Doc. He was at my 8 week check with Dr. B. 

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions.

Treena
IslandMomma
on 5/13/12 11:34 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12
 Cindy, 
Yes once you are approved once, it just follows you from what I was told...I was approved about 5 years ago and have never had any aother contact with anyone....my first consult was maybe 1 hour...not long ,but I didn't have to wait for the Dr....He was right on time...and yes at that time he will tell you what he would reccomend...He is a shy guy, but super nice...write down any questions you may think of in advance....

Good luck and let us know how you go...Mybe we can all get togather some day and compare notes....
Cindy F.
on 5/16/12 10:17 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 02/05/13
 Perfect, thanks - you two are excellent resources! I think I'll relax a bit after the first consult, I'm really looking forward to it. 
2much2do
on 6/1/12 10:08 am
 Hi I had first appointment with dr b on fev 8th was called for all day session in april but couldn.t go as I was away called for all day for june 5 and from what people say approx 4 months later surgery keeping my fingers crossed
Dawn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still here?
Livewithnoregrets · 2 replies · 1210 views
Going on 5 years out
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3792 views
Posts?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3828 views
workouts / exercise?
better_life_ahead · 0 replies · 3622 views