Putting things into perspective (with pictures)

grafiminou
on 11/27/12 7:11 am - montreal, Canada

Hi y'all,

I have been in a bit of a funk lately because my weight loss stopped about two months ago and I am still a bit over 10 lbs away from what I consider would be my ideal weight. And because I sometimes tend not to see the forest for the trees, I thought a before-and-after photo montage might help me put things into perspective and appreciate what I've accomplished so far rather than putting all my energies into regretting what hasn't happened yet.

So, here's me about 2 months before my VSG (around 308 lbs) compared to me 13.5 months post-surgery (around 168 lbs). I still would like to go down to 155 but what I really want above anything else is to never, never again go anywhere near 300 lbs!

Cheers,

Monica

P.S. I have to confess that I am very much in love (some would say obsessively so) with my legs now and I love showing them off in short dresses and skirts enlightened. So, that's another win to help me remember how far I've come!

lgm
on 11/27/12 9:58 am

Wow!!  You are gorgeous!!

great job! I wish I can achieve what you have.  I am nine days out. You are a true inspiration...

grafiminou
on 11/27/12 10:52 pm - montreal, Canada

Thank you! You will achieve what you need/want, I'm sure of it. Your journey is just beginning, so enjoy the ride, it's a wild but rewarding one

Gabriella21
on 11/27/12 10:10 am - Roxboro, Canada

Hi Bella...

Now where do I begin...??? Do you remember way back when...at that restaurant we were all pigging out...??? I knew you "way back when"...and my dear you have accomplished what you set out to do. You are beautiful...and yes you have killer legs and I hate you...but that's besides the point...lol

You are a true inspiration and seeing what you have accomplished makes me go that much stronger because seeing you I know it's possible! We all have that dream. And maybe it may not be exact at this moment but you are pretty damn close.

I'm glad you posted the pictures...I think it was an important part in the"process" and I will be doing the same...eventually.

I don't have a definite "goal" weight in mind and the doctors never gave me one so I'm just going along and see where my body takes me. Sure would love to be about 120 lbs...and kick ass gorgeous...but I'll never be 120 lbs but as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow I will try and be as kick ass gorgeous as I can be...even at my present weight!!!

So after all this...You are a Hott...beautiful...and a wonderful person on the inside and out and don't you forget!!! And keep wearing those mini-skirts!!

Hugs!!!

Ada xoxo

grafiminou
on 11/27/12 11:12 pm - montreal, Canada

Dear Ada,

Do I remember? Of course I remember! The long table split in two: one side, the pre-ops ordering from the all-you-can-eat menu, the other side, the post-ops with their (what seemed like) ridiculously small plates of lean meat and veggies. You couldn't have had a better metaphor of pre-op vs post-op lifestyle if you'd tried to!

Thank you for your kind words. It really helps me to read comments like that because maintenance can be a total b**** sometimes! Between the frustration of not seeing the scale move downward and the abject fear (strike that: abject terror) of regain, my head spins sometimes. Throw in the mix the newly developed identity issues - who am I now that I no longer qualify as "the fat girl in the room"? 'Cause I sure as hell don't identify as the skinny/slim/normal sized girl yet - and you can easily feel like you're losing your grip on reality at times! So seeing those pictures and reading/hearing people tell me that "I did good" help me put things into perspective. That and remembering to take deep breaths when the crazies start screaming too loudly.

And I have to say that you inspire me as well, Ada. Your dedication to working out, your tales and pictures of painting the town red, your smile and awesome hairdos, it all makes me want to continue on this path and not give up, even when my stupid knee hurts. Which reminds me that I should get my lazy arse back to the gym before my beautiful, sexy legs go all flabby on me!

Keep up the good fight!

Monica

damonalisa
on 11/27/12 9:21 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

Hi Monica, 

I appreciate your philosophy and hope to remember it once I start my journey and when I also hit a plateau.  I saw you at last week's meeting and you look fantastic!!  

Lisa 

grafiminou
on 11/27/12 11:19 pm - montreal, Canada

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your comment. Plateaus are definitively one of the hardest things to deal with. It helps if you take pictures along the way and carefully track the weight loss progression - this way you have concrete proof of how you've come along.

Cheers,

Monica

sonia29
on 11/29/12 1:47 am

Well done!!!!!!

How was your surgery experience with Dr Gagner?

My surgery date for VSG is Jan2 nd. (I'm very nervous since it'smy first surgery)

grafiminou
on 11/30/12 1:31 am - montreal, Canada

Hi Sonia,

Thank you.

Dr. Gagner is an excellent surgeon and a pretty nice man, even though he can seem a bit distant sometimes. While he will not try to become your best friend, he will answer, patiently and thoroughly, all the questions you might have. At least that was my experience with him.

It's normal to feel nervous about surgery, but you are in very capable hands with Dr. Gagner and the facilities at the Rockland clinic are excellent and you'll get great post-surgery care. And honestly,this is a pretty "easy" surgery in terms of recovery; in a few days, you'll be back on your feet! 

Good luck!

Monica

sonia29
on 11/30/12 3:01 am

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the info.

I'm getting my surgery in Westmount Square Clinic with Dr Gagner (Private selfpay)

I was told the care is not as god as Rockland but I couldn't care less. (As long as I'm safe and sound it doesn't matter to me)

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Sonia

Most Active