Important research study needs your input! (this is not spam!)

grafiminou
on 2/25/13 4:17 am - montreal, Canada

Hello OH friends,

I’ve been following you from afar and am happy to see that so many of you are getting their dates and that the « vets » all seem to be doing so well.

Last week I was interviewed for a study that seeks to understand the challenges women face to becoming more active before and after bariatric surgery. It was a very interesting experience; Stacy, who is responsible for the study, and the doctor who also sat in on the interview, are super nice and friendly and it was a pleasure talking to them and answering their questions. Plus, I think this type of research is really important; there really are nowhere near enough resources to support bariatric patients either before or after surgery. So, I really believe that any contribution we can make towards creating more support systems is worth the time and (tiny) effort!

And here’s the reason why I’m writing today. Stacy is still looking for participants for her study. She is looking for English speaking women who have had bariatric surgery (any type) within the last 3-24 months. You will be asked to commit approximately 1.5 hours of your time whenever is most convenient for you and come into the Health Promotion Lab at McGill University.

So if you qualify or know anyone who would, I strongly encourage you to contact Stacy and get the ball rolling! (Ada and Barbara, I am looking at you, girls ;-)

Cheers,

Monica

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Your participation in this study will help doctors and researchers understand the various challenges women face to becoming more active before and after bariatric surgery. The information you provide during these group discussions will be used to plan exercise programs and advise doctors on how to counsel their patients who are going for or have had bariatric surgery.

Who are we looking for to participate?

English speaking, women who have had bariatric surgery (any type) within the last 3-24 months. 

What does your participation entail?

You will be asked to commit approximately 1.5 hours of your time whenever is most convenient for you and come into our Health Promotion Lab at McGill University. 

During your visit  we will take your height and weight, ask you to fill out a few questionnaires and participate in a 45-60 minute personal discussion, with a trained researcher in a private conference room.  All of the information we obtain is private and confidential and will be used only for study purposes. No one will know that you are participating in this study.

Where is this study being held?

You will be asked to come in to the Currie Gym at McGill University located at 475 Pine avenue (right next to Royal Victoria Hospital). If you chose to drive, we will arrange for parking for you. If you cannot make it to McGill University and would prefer to have this discussion in the comfort of your home, or a quiet coffee shop, we can arrange for that as well. As long as it is in a space you are comfortable. 

What are the costs and risks involved in my participation?

There are NO COSTS to participating in this study, we value every single bit of your time and any insight you can provide us about your experiences, you are the experts!!

The risks to participating in this study are low. You may become bored or tired during the discussion. There is also a chance you may be uncomfortable to discuss certain topics in discussion. If this happens, you DO NOT have to discuss anything that makes you uncomfortable, upset, etc.

If you are interested in participating and/or have ANY questions about this study, please contact Stacy (me) at 514-566-7377 or [email protected].

grafiminou
on 2/25/13 10:21 am - montreal, Canada

I've just noticed an error in Stacy's email address. The correct address is: [email protected].

Cheers,

Monica

Most Active