A little update on me...

Spezza_Fan
on 3/4/13 11:24 pm, edited 3/4/13 11:31 pm - Gatineau, Canada

Hey guys,

Long time no see... I think it's been over a year and a bit now. I'll be 2 years post-op on March 10th and let's just say I still feel great.

Lots of things have happened within the last year... some good and some bad.

Let's start with the bad! :'( March 1st, 2012, I lost the most inspiring and most encouraging person in my life, my mom! It was very sudden and was a complete shock to the whole family. Luckily for us we are a very tight knit family and we have great friends so it made the grieving process somewhat easier. This shot was taken a couple of months before surgery.

photo 13802D53-CF28-4C29-96F0-E871B0B7C0AB-2071-000000DE7AADCCEB_zpse35ab113.jpg

Now on to the good news. On October 6th, my girlfriend and I finally got married. As some of you know, marriage was one of my major motivations for having surgery. My girlfriend was always there rooting for me to be healthier so we could eventually start our life together and it only took me 10 years :/. I'm lucky she stuck around so long for it to finally happen.

photo Our_Wedding_zps137f1a58.jpg

After the wedding we headed on our honeymoon and we did a 7-day Caribbean cruise from Miami. I don't know what was in the drinks or the food but when we came back I was 5 pounds heavier and Cath, my wife :), was, well, PREGNANT!!! :) You heard it! We are expecting! Our expected date is July 24th and tomorrow we are going for our first ultrasound to see what that little bugger looks like. We don't want to know the sex right now so what we will do is ask the nurse to write the sex in an envelop and we will give it to Cath's friend who will be taking care of the Baby Shower and once we get to the baby shower, we will be surprised by whether it'll be a girl or a boy (or both... :/ twins run in the family but we should know tomorrow).

photo 19weeks_zps19e5b03b.jpg

On the weight front however I have hit a stall and actually gained a few pounds since last year. I know, not good, right? But it's not the end of the world. I just have to get back to good or better eating habits. So the scale said 254 this morning. That's roughly 17 pounds heavier than the lowest I ever saw on the scale back in July of last year. To my defense however, my scale has been throwing weird numbers these last few months. Some days I hop it says a number 10+ pounds lower than I actually am so who knows what the real numbers are. Also to my defense is that within the last 3 months I had started the P90x routine with my buddies and after completing 5 straight weeks of it I injured myself while playing hockey and took a 4 week break from all exercise. I did complete the rest of the challenge with my buddies put never got a full 90 days in. I am now able to do, 5 pull-ups (~1 before I started), ~40 push-ups (~12-15 before) and can almost complete all the ab-crunches in the AB RIPPER X for those who are familiar with the workout so I know I am a lot stronger than I was before I started so maybe muscle also plays a role in me gaining weight. In the meantime, I'll just keep fishing! :)

photo EC779EDF-116D-47B1-A7BF-896F8C24B8D2-434-00000034FE3796C2.jpg

Anyways, I have re-set my original goal and am now aiming to complete it by the time my wife gives birth on July 24th. So by July 24th, I should be in the 220lbs vicinity and hopefully a couple of pounds below. :)

Take care guys and it's nice seeing that a ton of people are finally getting their calls and having surgery. It really is life changing! :)

Derek -xxx-

StartW: 406.6    SurgeryW: 370.8    LastW: 249.6    ThisW: 246.6  
VSG SURGERY ON MARCH 10TH, 2011
Follow my journey on YouTube at www.YouTube.com/Dirik29
deborah N.
on 3/5/13 12:44 am - Bellmore, NY

So sorry about your mom! Congratulations on your beautiful wedding , weight loss and expecting !! Best wishes to you and your family !! 

Pregnancy%20ticker

Spezza_Fan
on 3/18/13 12:54 am - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks Deb! Congrats to you on the new bundle of joy that is on the way. You are expecting 2 months and a day before us :)

Wishing you all the best as well.

Derek -xxx-

sweet_sylvie
on 3/5/13 4:03 am
I'm soo sorry for your mother but she will always be with arround your family!
Congrats for your wedding, the weight loss and of course the baby girl (oops) loll (just guessing)
I'm so happy for you!!
Take care!!
Spezza_Fan
on 3/18/13 12:55 am - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks for the kind words Sylvie!

We won't know the sex of the baby until he or she comes out. We decided to wait to make it that much more exciting :)

Derek -xxx-

Julie L.
on 3/14/13 1:37 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

So sorry about your mother,  but congrats on the wedding and the baby!  How exciting!   

If your scale is jumping around giving you crazy numbers like that,  might be time to change the battery?   Or get a new scale... I would find that extremely demotivating!   I can highly recommend the EatSmart scales,  Amazon.ca finally sells them (I had to buy mine from the US at the time),  they are crazy accurate.   I also love my Fitbit Aria wi-fi scale,  but that's useful since I have a fitbit,  without it I'd just go for the Eatsmart one!

Spezza_Fan
on 3/18/13 12:59 am - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks HazelSMRF!

I just looked into that scale on Amazon.ca but it was out of stock so I opted for the Ozeri one that also measures body fat, bone density, muscle weight as well as overall weight and water weight. It was a little more expensive (65$) but I think I will be happy with it. I have decided to hop back on the cardio machine at home on Saturday and did the Treadclimber for a full period while watching my Ottawa Senators play. I walked for 35 minutes at 3 MPH burning a little over 500 calories. Yesterday I managed to do 1.5 hours of ball hockey and today will be another 30-40 minutes on the TreadClimber. Hoping to do it everyday and see what the scale shows me. :)

Derek -xxx-

justpete
on 3/18/13 6:15 am
VSG on 04/02/13

hey derek, catching up on your videos thanks for sharing. you've done very well! 

Spezza_Fan
on 3/18/13 7:23 am - Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Pete!
Most Active