Easy

cheysma2000
on 4/10/12 12:17 am - Bassett, VA
I know I might sound mean but I am sick and tired of hearing people say I took the easy way out by having the gastric bypass. I have fought my weight since I was 12 years old. I have always been overweight even though my sisters and mom were not. I take after my dad's family. I have tried every diet in the world. I have joined the gym, Curves and worked out as much as I could. My weight got to 336 when I turned 43 and I knew if I didn't get help I wouldn't be here to watch my 11 year old daughter grow up. I got the bypass March 12th after 6 months of jumping through insurance hoops. I lost 35 pounds just to be qualified for the surgery. A week and a half after my bypass I became dehydrated and was taken to a hospital close to my home. The cat scan showed 1 large open hernia and several clusters of small hernias caused by the throwing up. I was rushed to a larger hospital and having my second surgery on March 21.
There is nothing easy about this process. It is one of the hardest things I have done. Please don't get me wrong, I don't regret it. I have lost 30 more pounds since the surgery but it has not been easy relearning how to read my body and it's signals. Eating little and trying to get all my vitamins. It is not easy.

Cheysma2000
RNY 3/12/12
Hernia surgery 3/25/12

undergoingchange
on 4/10/12 12:26 am
You are sooo right.  It is not easy. 

I am sorry that you have had such a difficult time.

I guess it is always to understand how challenging something is if you have not been throught it.

I am so blessed. All the people around me have been very supportive and understanding.  A few have even told me how proud they are of me for taking this step and being so disciplined to do all the things required to be successful.

I pray that you will find one or two of that kind of supporter.  If not, we are always here and we understand if nobody else does. 

dasie
on 4/10/12 12:29 am
No matter how successful you are there will be those who criticize.  Once you lose all the weight people will begin telling you that you are too skinny and do not look good.  Resist the urge to listen to them because you will most likely have bounce back.  The lower you go the easier it will be in maintenance.

This is a one man show.  No one can do any of this for us.  As difficult as it is...ignore them.  They are ignorant, jealous or who knows what their motivations are.  After a period of time things will return to normal and people will forget you had surgery, but it takes time.

You know, I know and everyone else on this site know we did not take the easy way out.  In the final analysis, what you believe is all that matters anyway.

dasie
on 4/10/12 12:31 am
let me rephrase....you might have bounce back.  My original statement was negative.  We do not have to have bounce back and many do not.  Sorry

Clarissa A.
on 4/10/12 12:35 am - RI
RNY on 02/08/12

I get people telling me that I "CHEATED" to lose my weight!!!!

Seriously? Cheated? They have no idea the discipline it takes and the trials, tribulations and the hoops we have to jump thru for the insurance company.

I just ignore people that talk like that and I stick to my OH Family for support.

I am here for you if you ever need to vent

CeCee

To be tested is good. The Challenged life may be the best Therapist - Gail Shea
Cheryl C.
on 4/10/12 12:43 am - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with
I don't know about "cheating", but I have to admit, after a lifetime of struggling over the same freakin' 20 pounds (on again, off again, on again, off again....) I am dropping the pounds like "THAT"! So yes, maybe it is "easy". Why not? Life's about doing things the easy way! That's why we invented the wheel...and discovered fire...and electricity...and Iphones! Sheesh! Why NOT do it the easy way if there's one available! I would never ever ever in my life been able to lose 30 pounds in a month! Hell, this is a CINCH!!! And more power to us for discovering a way, researching it, making the GIANT decision to do it, and being successful at it! Some people will find fault no matter what you do. Don't let them bother you. It's their hang up....

xoxoxoxo

Cher    

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/12 12:51 am
RNY on 04/18/12
Haters gonna hate...

Seriously, though, I know this is not the "easy way out."  People who say that have no idea what it is that we will be doing -- for the rest of our lives.  Ignore them.  They know not of what they speak.

And, keep up the good work!
Karen P.
on 4/10/12 12:56 am - CO
RNY on 02/13/12
I get something similar at work. People here are "working" to loose weight and call each other "skinny Minnie" and other comments like that. But to me, they say, I can see you're loosing weight, I need to loose more, but would never do what you did.

I told my Supervisor what the surgery was and she told someone else who told someone else and so on and so on. It was even sent around by email. So much for confidentiality or respect around here.

This is my 4th week back and people don't talk to me. Some didn't even say "welcome back" or "hello" after my 6 weeks off.

What we are doing is tough. Having to find the right food to not get sick on, and then for me, sometimes what I ate last week now makes me sick, so it's still trial and error and boredom with the same old, same old.

Trying to find time to work out is difficult, I don't have support at home so the house is destroyed now that I'm back at work - there just isn't enough time in the day to take care of everything.

cheysma2000
on 4/10/12 1:05 am - Bassett, VA
Thanks everybody, I just wanted to get that off my chest. I have some supporters I just can't stand the whole "easy" thing.
imgettingfit
on 4/10/12 1:06 am - Millersville, MD

You have done a wonderful thing for your health...and no one, no matter what they say to you, can take that away from you.

I'm about to turn 53, and the older I get, the less I care about what the haters say.  I've also learned that we're given this one, great shot at life, and it's too precious to spend time worrying about what others say and trying to please everyone.

Something else I've learned is to distance myself from family and friends who don't make me feel good about myself.  I've dropped friends I've had my whole life. My husband and I have cut his sister completely out of our lives because she was hypercritical of us...it's been 5 years and we don't regret it at all.  It's her loss, not ours.  She said horrible things to us and about us to others and refuses to accept responsibility or apologize, so she can just go spew hate on some other family.  We made the choice to be happy. 

So...take good care of yourself, stop listening to any negativity, and don't feel guilty for one minute for having WLS!

Height: 5'6" SW: 234 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?