BC/BS of SC

BarbDahl77
on 10/17/10 11:39 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
VSG on 09/16/14
Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on BC/BS of SC and what types of procedures it does and does not cover as far as WLS goes. I am a resident of NYS, but my companies corporate office was relocated within the last two years to SC. 2010 was the first year the company switched everyone's insurance to BC/BS of SC. The out-of-state employees are covered under the Blue Card. I have looked online, but have been unable to find any policy info for BC/BS SC and WLS.

Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!!

~*~Barb~*~  VSG Sept. 16, 2014 w\ Dr. Jaime Cepeda of Tri-State Bariatrics!! Living La Vida Low Carb!

hh

mypookiesma
on 10/17/10 1:32 pm - SC

Hi Barb,
Even though I live in SC my insurance is BC/BS of Alabama not SC, but what I would suggest to you is to call the insurance company and ask them what your benefits cover.  That is what I did and they were VERY helpful and even gave me the website and access information so that I could read it myself.  (There were 28 pages of info!)

The thing is that it depends on your employer and the package that they have contracted with BC/BS as to what is covered.  My sister works for the county and is covered under BC/BS State coverage and her policy will not allow ANY surgery for weight loss under ANY cir****tances.  However, just because it is not covered for her does not mean it will be the same for you.  What matters is if there is an "exclusion" on your policy that excludes WLS.

So again, call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask.  If you do not understand something, keep asking questions until you do understand.

Good Luck,

Vickie

LindyLoo
on 4/22/11 6:16 am - Upstate, SC
Policies vary widely. My BCBS covers NO bariatric surgery of any kind.

Lindy
 sw 286/  cw 180ish  BMI 28
Thank God for the DS! It saved my life, literally & figuratively! 

maddy9603
on 10/28/18 3:22 pm - Fountain Inn, SC

Are you a state employee?

maddy9603
on 10/28/18 3:30 pm - Fountain Inn, SC

Are you a state employee?

Sharon_SC
on 10/27/10 6:03 am - SC
hey! I live in SC and have BC/BC. I was quite pleasantly surprised when the Bariatirc Soultions practice in Greenville told me that BC/BC generally did not require a 6 month diet history.

My paperwork for a RNY went in last week. I am hoping to get approval for a mid-December surgery, as I  have met my out of pocket limit.

Your particular policy may of course be different.

Good luck!
Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 322 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3065 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3974 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4309 views