New Here / Haven't had surgery / Need help figuring out how to do this

Julie W.
on 9/28/03 6:05 pm - Sumter, SC
Hi! I'm new to the forums..... I've been researching WLS for about a year now and know that it's something that I'd like to do. My BMI is about 64 and I'm 26 years old. I have tried everything that I can think of to figure out a way to get this to happen. I have no insurance and no company will insure me because they consider me too much of a health risk (we've tried). I am not working at the moment and so still live with my parents, so I have no ins. through a job. I have applied for disability b/c of a number of comorbidities but haven't heard anything yet, although I've been told that they almost never approve on the first attempt. I've contacted and been visiting a counselor at the Vocational Rehabilitation Dept. who seems to want to help me, but the only thing they've mentioned is wanting to get some bloodwork done to see if I have a thyroid condition. Has anyone had any luck with disability or the Voc Rehab with getting surgery? Everyone I've talked to in these places hasn't been through what we morbidly obese are going through and don't understand that this is a life or death situation or that this is a disease. I have literally been told that I simply needed to "push away from the table" and that would solve my problems. I'm getting desperate for help b/c over the past few months I feel my health issues getting worse and it is getting harder to do things that were already difficult to do. I'm worried about having a heart attack and/or having a blood clot. My parents are simple blue collar workers and can't afford anything and I have no money saved up. Can anyone offer any suggestions or tips or simply hope? Thanks......
glori74
on 11/2/03 9:16 am - summerville, SC
Hi.My best idea is since you are unemployed,apply for medicaid for the poor.If you are not paying rent and have no money or insurance or other income you should get medicaid.Medicaid for adults with no income will cover alot of things and I have seen people get wls with medicaid.Its federal money not state and they pay if you need wls for medical health.Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Charleston MUSC patients
MsRadar65 · 0 replies · 317 views
Overstitch Surgeon?
Pamela G. · 1 replies · 3063 views
Greenville sc
ebonymc · 0 replies · 3969 views
Union,SC
Tracy6035 · 0 replies · 4304 views